Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New website advice

Options
  • 04-08-2012 12:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

Hello all my name is Damien Hanniffy I am 16 years of age and looking for feedback. I am about to set up a new website called Thebatteryfactory.ie. I have it registered with the cro to date. I am here today to ask you Do you ever consider buying batteries online. There would be a huge range of batteries for sale starting from €1 per pack. All i have to date is a Facebook page as its a new . I also looking for someone who could possible make me a professionally website i have 1 price by a developer.
    Thanks is advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Just to give you some market research. No I wouldn't buy batteries online. They are available everywhere you go from supermarkets, newsagents to pound shops. You would need to have a major USP to consider doing this imo.
    Hello,

Hello all my name is Damien Hanniffy I am 16 years of age and looking for feedback. I am about to set up a new website called Thebatteryfactory.ie. I have it registered with the cro to date. I am here today to ask you Do you ever consider buying batteries online. There would be a huge range of batteries for sale starting from €1 per pack. All i have to date is a Facebook page as its a new . I also looking for someone who could possible make me a professionally website i have 1 price by a developer.
    Thanks is advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would buy batteries online if could get good brands at a good price. A lot of stores have offers from time, so it would be great to get those prices all the time. Also many shops have lesser known brands really cheap, but they are woeful batteries lasting a fraction of the time of a good brand. Then there's little speciality batteries like watch batteries and the like in electronic gadgets which it can be hard to find so it would be handy just to order them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hello,
    I am about to set up a new website called Thebatteryfactory.ie. I have it registered with the cro to date.
    You haven't registered the domain name yet, so there is nothing to stop someone else from registering it in the interim.
    Tip: Don't tell people about domain names you are registering until you have actually registered them
    I am here today to ask you Do you ever consider buying batteries online.

Yes and no.

Yes in that I have and will continue to buy some types of batteries online eg. ones that I cannot get in a corner shop, garage or supermarket

No in that I wouldn't bother buying AA or AAA batteries online - unless they were very high quality and considerably cheaper than what I'd get offline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'd imagine postage will be a deal breaker here.

Batteries are heavy & postage in Ireland is calculated mostly on weight (also size).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Onlinemart.ie

Blacknight wrote: »
    You haven't registered the domain name yet, so there is nothing to stop someone else from registering it in the interim.
    Tip: Don't tell people about domain names you are registering until you have actually registered them

Yes and no.

Yes in that I have and will continue to buy some types of batteries online eg. ones that I cannot get in a corner shop, garage or supermarket

No in that I wouldn't bother buying AA or AAA batteries online - unless they were very high quality and considerably cheaper than what I'd get offline

I have registered with the cro. No one can get my domain without my cro number. Thanks for the other advice aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

I have registered with the cro. No one can get my domain without my cro number. Thanks for the other advice aswell.

Hey OP,

That's wrong I'm afraid.

I've checked and you haven't registered the domain - in the next 30 seconds I could register that domain online and you wouldn't be able to have it! The IEDR, not the CRO, complete registrations for .ie domains. All I would need to do is show why I want the domain by demonstrating a simple link between the purpose and the domain. If you want it, register it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

www.thebatteryfactory.ie domain name is available to take at this very moment. If you want this website name you need to purchase it straight away.

I use a lot of batteries mainly aa and aaa. I have never bought them online because I stock up on them when I find them on offer. I use watch batteries and other batteries that are a bit more harder to get but I normally shop around and see where has them and if the price is good.

To make this business make money is going to take a lot of very very hard work and even then I dont know if it would succeed. Firstly you would need to invest a lot of money in stock. You would want all the batteries on the website in stock and ready to dispatch when the order comes in. Second you would need a huge amount of stock so that you can get the best possible price. Third you are going to need to spend a huge amount of money on advertising the business and building awareness.

Why should I order from your website?
    Can you deliver batteries to me cheaper than what I can buy them for?
    Will you dispatch the batteries the same day?
    After you buy the batteries, and on your operating costs and add on delivery are you able to sell me the batteries cheaper than the shops and still make a profit?

Go through the 4 questions above and see if the business is still profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Believe me they can and they could if they wanted to.

If I was feeling particularly "evil" I could have done it this morning and there is nothing you could do about it.

Just to give you some market research. No I wouldn't buy batteries online. They are available everywhere you go from supermarkets, newsagents to pound shops. You would need to have a major USP to consider doing this imo.

Hello,
    Thanks for feedback. I did not right the heading great. There will be normal batteries from the following brands, Panasonic, Sony and Duracell. It will have all models, aa,aaa,c,d,9v on all of them. Duracell will be at great value. But we also will be selling mobile phone batteries from Nokia to Sony Ericsson to I phone etc.

BostonB wrote: »
    I would buy batteries online if could get good brands at a good price. A lot of stores have offers from time, so it would be great to get those prices all the time. Also many shops have lesser known brands really cheap, but they are woeful batteries lasting a fraction of the time of a good brand. Then there's little speciality batteries like watch batteries and the like in electronic gadgets which it can be hard to find so it would be handy just to order them online.

Hello,
    Thanks for feedback. Yes I am getting Duracell in big lots and will be on sale at a fraction of a price looking at a pack of 4 aa for €3.50 delivered. But we will also have lower brands such as Panasonic, Philips, Sony all available at approx €2 delivered for pack of 4. Also it will be mobile phone batteries at half the rrp.

• Advertisement

riveratom wrote: »
    Hey OP,

That's wrong I'm afraid.

I've checked and you haven't registered the domain - in the next 30 seconds I could register that domain online and you wouldn't be able to have it! The IEDR, not the CRO, complete registrations for .ie domains. All I would need to do is show why I want the domain by demonstrating a simple link between the purpose and the domain. If you want it, register it now!

Hello,
    Wont let me without the cro number for some reason do if you can help me please do thanks

www.thebatteryfactory.ie domain name is available to take at this very moment. If you want this website name you need to purchase it straight away.

I use a lot of batteries mainly aa and aaa. I have never bought them online because I stock up on them when I find them on offer. I use watch batteries and other batteries that are a bit more harder to get but I normally shop around and see where has them and if the price is good.

To make this business make money is going to take a lot of very very hard work and even then I dont know if it would succeed. Firstly you would need to invest a lot of money in stock. You would want all the batteries on the website in stock and ready to dispatch when the order comes in. Second you would need a huge amount of stock so that you can get the best possible price. Third you are going to need to spend a huge amount of money on advertising the business and building awareness.

Why should I order from your website?
    Can you deliver batteries to me cheaper than what I can buy them for?
    Will you dispatch the batteries the same day?
    After you buy the batteries, and on your operating costs and add on delivery are you able to sell me the batteries cheaper than the shops and still make a profit?

Go through the 4 questions above and see if the business is still profitable.

It wont let me for some reason keeps asking me for cro number wont have it till next week they just got my payment. Here I will answer them questions.

1. You should order from my website because it is money and time saving and you will get loyalty points on every order giving you free batteries monthly.
    2. Yes i can deliver them cheaper its looking like i could get you a pack of Duracell for €3.50 shipped rrp €4.99 from official Duracell website. Also will have Panasonic and sony 3 packs of aa or aaa for only €4.99 shipped

Batteries ordered before 4pm will be shipped that day by an post takes usally 1-2 days.
    Orders over €20 are shipped by a courier same or next day delivery.

Yes I will be able to still make a profit I have invested 6,000 on just batteries to date funds coming from Golfingproductdeals.com and petsuppliesireland.com

I am looking forward to a reply thanks for that gets me thinking aswell

OU812 wrote: »
    I'd imagine postage will be a deal breaker here.

Batteries are heavy & postage in Ireland is calculated mostly on weight (also size).

Hello,
    You are right I have that all sorted out. And can send up to 30 packs of batteries for €3 thanks

Blacknight wrote: »
    Believe me they can and they could if they wanted to.

If I was feeling particularly "evil" I could have done it this morning and there is nothing you could do about it.

Hello,
    It will not let me still

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Mate, just a piece of advice, be careful with your spelling, both in your posts here but also looking at the two websites you listed above (that you are associated with).

I might be alone on this but a website with spelling mistakes would make me think twice about ordering, I wouldn't be sure it is legitimate/reputable.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Hello,
    Wont let me without the cro number for some reason do if you can help me please do thanks

If you select 'discretionary name' from the drop-down(s), it should let you proceed to complete the purchase without having to enter your reg. number.

Mate, just a piece of advice, be careful with your spelling, both in your posts here but also looking at the two websites you listed above (that you are associated with).

I might be alone on this but a website with spelling mistakes would make me think twice about ordering, I wouldn't be sure it is legitimate/reputable.

Thanks,
    I know its crap getting confused as I am learning Chinese
    Thanks do

I am still struggling to see how you can match or even beat prices. To send a small packet using standard post not exceeding 50g will cost €2.20 Thats just for postage and using standard mail. If you use standard mail you could run the risk of the customer saying they never received the item.

An Irish online company has 2 pack duracell aa batteries for €2.51 incl vat, 4 pack duracell aa batteries for €4.17 incl vat or 12 pack duracell aa batteries for €8.61 incl vat.

I can also go to a shop down the road from me and get 8 pack of panasonic batteries for only €1.49 or 10 pack + 1 battery free (11 pack ) of Kodak batteries for €1.49

Tesco have duracell ultra m3 aa batteries 4 pack + 4 free for €5.80

If you can beat these prices, you could be onto a great thing, I am just finding it hard as to how you could beat these prices and still make enough to advertise it and cover operating costs.

I am still struggling to see how you can match or even beat prices. To send a small packet using standard post not exceeding 50g will cost €2.20 Thats just for postage and using standard mail. If you use standard mail you could run the risk of the customer saying they never received the item.

An Irish online company has 2 pack duracell aa batteries for €2.51 incl vat, 4 pack duracell aa batteries for €4.17 incl vat or 12 pack duracell aa batteries for €8.61 incl vat.

I can also go to a shop down the road from me and get 8 pack of panasonic batteries for only €1.49 or 10 pack + 1 battery free (11 pack ) of Kodak batteries for €1.49

Tesco have duracell ultra m3 aa batteries 4 pack + 4 free for €5.80

If you can beat these prices, you could be onto a great thing, I am just finding it hard as to how you could beat these prices and still make enough to advertise it and cover operating costs.

Hello,
    A lot of the products are mobile phone batteries aswell. I will not be using An post at all. I have postage sorted from a courier company all is track and traced aswell. costs to me are €1 for up to 4 packs of batteries posted, €2 up to 10 packs posted €3 for up to 25 packs posted.

Petrol cost people money dont think anyone takes this into account.

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought you were sending them by an post. Petrol doesnt come into it for me because the shops are within walking distance from where I am living. If you can beat them prices that I quoted I think you could be very successful.

I admire that you are 16 and you seem to have a very good business head on you and when you need advise a lot of people on boards will give you great advise.

If I could give you some advise I think you need to do a bit more work to the websites that you have up and running at the moment. The spelling needs to be fixed. The sites are looking a little bland. You need to highlight your contact details better. I would find it very hard to order from a website that only has a mobile number, I would stick down a landline and a fixed address. A landline and address gives me a lot more securities.

You need to work on getting your websites featured higher in search results. I did a quick search for pet supplies in ireland on yahoo and your site didnt show up.

Sorry I thought you were sending them by an post. Petrol doesnt come into it for me because the shops are within walking distance from where I am living. If you can beat them prices that I quoted I think you could be very successful.

I admire that you are 16 and you seem to have a very good business head on you and when you need advise a lot of people on boards will give you great advise.

If I could give you some advise I think you need to do a bit more work to the websites that you have up and running at the moment. The spelling needs to be fixed. The sites are looking a little bland. You need to highlight your contact details better. I would find it very hard to order from a website that only has a mobile number, I would stick down a landline and a fixed address. A landline and address gives me a lot more securities.

You need to work on getting your websites featured higher in search results. I did a quick search for pet supplies in ireland on yahoo and your site didnt show up.

Hello,
    Thanks for all feedback i will be able to beat the rrp. The petsupplliesireland.com is very new not up long at all golfingproductdeals.com is up just over a year do thanks for great advice aswell

Batteries ordered before 4pm will be shipped that day by an post takes usally 1-2 days.
    Hello,
    A lot of the products are mobile phone batteries aswell. I will not be using An post at all. I have postage sorted from a courier company all is track and traced aswell. costs to me are €1 for up to 4 packs of batteries posted, €2 up to 10 packs posted €3 for up to 25 packs posted.

So who are you using?

So who are you using?

Hello,
    Fastway couriers. I am not going ahead with a battery only site i think i need to diversify into more so a different name etc would be good i have no idea of a name yet any tips be good for a new name.

I'm with fastway too. I would love to know how you are getting your low prices...

I'm with fastway too. I would love to know how you are getting your low prices...

How much are u paying and what you shipping a4 envelopes is it if so u can get them for €3 inc vat

Advertisement