Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itching to buy a new pistol

Options
  • 03-08-2012 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey all,

I currently have a KJ Works Sig p226 working off green gas (heap 'o' junk) but I am looking for an all metal Co2 Blowback. Just wondering if there is any out there and what the choices are??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

WE co2 1911 aint bad if your looking for a co2 pistol or the WE M9 co2 model having used them myself i have both and a cracking pistols.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

The asg cz75 is a co2 blowback. Have one myself and I like it so far, the other lads will be in a better position to say if its reliable etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

Faolchu wrote: »
    The asg cz75 is a co2 blowback. Have one myself and I like it so far, the other lads will be in a better position to say if its reliable etc

I was actually looking at one online ages ago and its a stunning looking gun. Is it all metal??

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭jackocool7

Snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

magic_tree wrote: »
    I was actually looking at one online ages ago and its a stunning looking gun. Is it all metal??

metal slide, with a polymer grip/lower body
    http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=855&category_id=21&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There are indeed full metal Co2 blowbacks out, and a decent amount of them. You have two options for gas systems; gas in mag, and gas in gun. Personally I abhor gas-in-gun systems - if a mag develops a leak, it's irritating, but you can fix it or replace it. If the gun develops a leak it is much harder to fix, and if its irreparable, then bye bye gun. I've never liked those odds.

Plus, I really really hate those thin strip magazines...they're just so...lame.

For me it's gas in mag all of the way, for better or worse.

Brand/Manufacturer wise there are not a lot of options:
    - KWC
    - KJW
    - WE
    - Win Gun
    - RA-Tech

KWC and KJW are the most common, then WE and WinGun and RATech at the bottom. Each manufacturer has approached the problem of controlling the Co2 caplets' pressure a little differently; WE took an odd approach - they restricted the valve so that you have better performance as far as temperature goes, but recoil is utterly lame - lower than green gas kind of lame.

KJW tackled the problem by using nylon O-rings, which are more resilient to the pressure, and allows the use of standard type valves which results in absolutely fantastic recoil, and very good performance in Irish weather. The trade off (there's always one) is that because the O-rings are not rubber, they are completely unforgiving; if they're in the wrong position then they will allow Co2 to escape. This can be solved with labour-intensive maintenance, but not everyone is willing to do this.

KWC on the otherhand use different kind of valves that are more rugged, and rather oddly they are virtually devoid of O-Rings...but they work, and work well. They have higher levels of recoil than green gas counterparts, but lesser than the KJW's.

RA-Tech make Co2 magazines for the KSC/KWA glock, so it's technically not a Co2 gun from manufacturer, but rather an upgrade for them. Without reinforced loading nozzles, I would question how long they would last, though if they have limited the valve then it shouldn't be a bother.

WinGun on the other hand used an old school approach, and put the cannister into the gun itself - this allows for bigger and better valves to be used, which helps control the pressure of the canister for more effective and consistent power output.

If you're looking for sheer reliability, then KWC have certainly proved themselves superior in this regard - their magazines develop leaks at a far lower rate to the KJW's, and are generally more permanently fixable than their counterparts. That said, KJW are near-perfect TM clones - they're compatible with virtually every upgrade part on the market for the TM's, and apart from that they are more accurate than the KWC's. The problem is that their magazines just aren't great. They do develop leaks unless meticulously maintained (and by maintained, I mean vigorous maintenance), but their recoil and accuracy makes using a pistol a whole pile of fun!

So the question is, do you want a pistol that will be more accurate and require more work/maintenance, or do you want a pistol that is less accurate but more reliable? If the former, KJW are the pistols for you. Otherwise, it's KWC. If you're going gas in gun, then WinGun are really the only player in town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

What kind of maintenance on the kjw are we talking about inari?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Personally I would forgo the metal pistol in favour of anything by Tokyo Marui. Having used the WE M1911n for two years+ (Green gas, mind) I recently swapped to the TM Five-Seven, and after my first game with it last night in Fingal, I will never go back. The range, the build quality and the performance from the pistol were just outstanding, and for such a lightweight polymer pistol I was over the moon. Each mag filled with green gas (25 bbs per) last two full uses, that's 50 bbs per fill!

I'd really recommend it man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

KonFusion wrote: »
    What kind of maintenance on the kjw are we talking about inari?
    For maintenance on the KJW magazines you're looking at ensuring that you avoid storing the magazines with a full, or close to full canister of Co2, and also avoid storing it devoid of any Co2. You want a small amount of pressure on the seals to hold them in place. Regular lubrication of the magazine is required, as Co2 is a dry gas - you need to ensure that everything is running smooth. Silicone grease is great for valves. You need to disassemble your magazine, grease everything and reassemble, and this needs to be done regularly. You need to watch your shooting, keeping 1 second between shots to avoid the valve spring receding and keeping the valve partially open.

Adjusting the valve for the weather is another very important step - tightening it in the cold, and loosening it in the heat. You want it just above the point of leaking, as that gives max performance. Too tight, and gun doesn't cycle smooth. Too loose and leak-kingdom here you come!

You can do other forms of maintenance as well, such as 'repairs' on leaking magazines - you can replace the valve assembly, or even just the nylon O-rings for nitrile/nitrite O-Rings (they are far more effective than the Nylon, but shorter lived - you'll be replacing these regularly though it's more pain-free than the nylon equivalent).

That's generally what you're looking at maintenance wise.
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Personally I would forgo the metal pistol in favour of anything by Tokyo Marui. Having used the WE M1911n for two years+ (Green gas, mind) I recently swapped to the TM Five-Seven, and after my first game with it last night in Fingal, I will never go back. The range, the build quality and the performance from the pistol were just outstanding, and for such a lightweight polymer pistol I was over the moon. Each mag filled with green gas (25 bbs per) last two full uses, that's 50 bbs per fill!

I'd really recommend it man!
    This.

Tokyo Marui have built a solid reputation for quality, and actually care about the airsoft skirmisher market. As a result their products are vastly superior in performance and build quality, though they are not as realistic replicas as some other counterparts due to strict Japanese firearms laws and regulations.

TM pistols are plastic-bodied, but have fantastic gas systems and the best hop up system on the market. Due to the lightweight plastic slides, they are very efficient on gas, and work beautifully. The trade off is of course that you have to be alright with the guns being plastic. But you gain an incredibly accurate (think laser gun) sidearm.

They are the best built pistols on the market, but if full metal and recoil is your thing, your only bet is Co2. Gas is a waste of time if using metal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement