Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CV Humour

• 03-08-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

What is the general impression of having a lightly humorous CV? I'm not talking about knock-knock jokes, just small quips.
    For example, I'm putting kickboxing under hobbies and interests. I've been doing kickboxing for years and absolutely suck at it, so I want to make some joke about my amazing career of zero competitive wins.
    Does a CV need to be completely professional or is it alright to give it a personal touch? Or should I save the charming self-deprecation for the interview?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭TheBody

Personally I wouldn't do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I don't give a damn about your so called quips in your CV for two reasons; first of all because I'm unlikely to bother to read them (all CVs are skimmed and details only picked out for a interview) and second and far larger chances are your "humour" will not come over correctly with the person you try to impress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

I think it's an absolutely horrendous idea personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,259 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Write your CV in Limerick form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

To use a movie quip

Just stick to the facts mam

As Nody says Cvs are skimmed and humor is subjective, what may seem funny to you, may make you look like a tool to somebody else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

So that's a unanimous no then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Write your CV in Limerick form!

There once was a man called Joe Bourke
    Who was in desperate need of some work
    He put jokes in his hobbies
    Yet he still has no jobbies
    The employer saw it and said "What the furk?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

I don't think it'd do any harm. If they're skimming they won't see it, if they're struggling to get through stuff it might lighten their day?

I know some people who hire based on a persons ability to make the office a bit more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's probably a case of knowing the industry, and knowing your audience.

I wouldn't do it myself. Ever. But then, I'm an auditor - the most humourless profession of all. :/ So I doubt it would impress any potential employers.

And, if you reckon you're in with a good chance of getting an interview for the role based on the rest of your CV, I'd leave it out ... you can impress them with your wit and charm at the interview. ;)

But, if you're chancing your arm applying for a role where you know there'll be much more qualified and experienced applicants ... feck it, why not throw it in there. :) If your CV happens to end up in front of the right person, taking a risk to make yourself stand out might make all the difference!

Basically, I'd say only try it if you've nothing to lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

The 'know your audience' aspect had occurred to me before. I'm primarily applying to computer games companies, who seem to pride themselves these days on having zany and approachable careers pages. I'm only a graduate so anything that makes me stand out will pretty much make all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

I worked in a shop during my student years. A lot of people would drop in c.v's to me, hoping I would pass them onto my manager. I was shocked by the amount of typos and grammar mistakes in the c.v's... I would edit and correct these little mistakes using a red pen, add comments and grade each c.v with a red pen before handing them to my manager. Awful, but amusing.

Anecdote - I was reviewing a girls c.v and noticed that under achievements she listed "Winning a table quiz in 1999". Fair enough, I thought, until I checked her date of birth. It was 1991. Who puts a table quiz they won at eight years of age (and 13 years ago) on their c.v!!?? ... That one got an 'F'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Honestly it depends on what area your applying to work in. Engineering would be a no no. Some creative arts area or something like that it might be a possibility but in general I'd say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Get the job first

Save your humour for when you are chatting up someone at the Christmas party

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭L0ui5e

Wouldn't you just love to apply for a job with a makey uppy CV..
    Say in the name of Ima Royde who happens to be 69 and lists reading the Grey trilogy as a hobby..
    Too much time on my hands I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The employer already thinks you might be the right hire by calling you in for interview. During the interview one of the main things they will be looking for is how risky it is to hire you. Generally any sort of crazy man routine will go down badly. You want to come across as pleasant, positive, and not difficult or risky whatsoever.

So I recommend you don't do anything weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

All good advice.

Funny CV = Chuckles in the Office + Filing afterwards in the little round filing cabinet under the desk.

Advertisement