Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still print your photos ?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Have all you O & O's surrendered to the digital age or do you still have actual photo albums. There's no point asking the youngsters, they have everything on their phones/laptops/tablets. I have albums of photos going back for 30 years or more, a lifetime of memories all neatly filed in chronological order. I have also inherited my parent's photo collections. I normally have both digital and printed copies. Recently I noticed I have started to get very lazy and haven't printed my photos since last year. Have you all given up too ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Two weeks ago I took some film to the chemist to be developed, not many places still do them though. I had to search around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Bet you still have a wind-up clock, and a mangle too Rube! Well I have tons of photos from the old days but also tons of slides which are beginning to fade so something should be done about those. I also have mountains of digital photos which I mean to print out but haven't yet got around to it. I find digital photos good because they are so cheap and you can delete the rubbish, but unfortunately I tend to keep the rubbish too, I know its daft. But I prefer ordinary photos in photo albums. I used to do them chronologically but over the years I got lazy. But never fear, its definitely on my 'to do list'......for some day when I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have several thousand slides of our four or five years in Africa, 90% of which would be of no interest to anyone, but the other 10% are a good record of those years of travel and young family.

The chances of anyone sorting them while either of us is up to remembering where all the pictures were taken are minimal though! It would be nice to get the 10%, or even less, made digital.

We don't take film photos any longer, its all digital now, a few get printed occasionally, but mostly they are kept on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I worked in a photoshop for years' always on a monday morn you'd get people in from the weekend getting their dissposables done' over the years the photoshop buisness has died , you just cant compare prices to the big retailers' plus online buisness, but going back on topic everybody used to tell me they didnt print half as much anymore since they got a digital camera.

Worst thing I heard was some friends who just take tons of digital photos and rarely upload them to the computer or save them onto discs or memory sticks. A few friends have lost a lot of photos because their camera broke down and they were told they could not be retrieved. Not sure I'd agree with that myself although I'm not very knowledgeable about the subject. I just feel there is always some way to retrieve them - just ask the CIA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

CIA = Crazy Insane Aliens

Or the FBI even, or uneven, its up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I think it is sad that photo albums are becoming a thing of the past. Over the years we have had great fun looking through them. My sons often look through the albums, especially when having a few beers with friends and they have great crack looking at their birthday parties, communions, holidays etc. When my Mam died we left all her albums lying around the house during the wake (which went on for 3 days !). It was fantastic for all her siblings, friends and neighbours to look through them and recall so many memories. Mind you, on the minus side it is awful to have printed evidence of yourself getting older and older .......

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

I make up a photobook every year with my best photos of the year (the albums that you assemble yourself on the internet and get printed off and bound)._
    The quality is great, and it's a back up copy of all my best photos in case I lose the digital ones.

Hi christmas2010. What site do you use to make the photobook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Only photos I print now is when im hanging them up rest stay on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I make up a photobook every year with my best photos of the year (the albums that you assemble yourself on the internet and get printed off and bound)._
    The quality is great, and it's a back up copy of all my best photos in case I lose the digital ones.
    Absolutely love that idea, definitely going to do that. It's a nice way to look back over the year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Hi christmas2010. What site do you use to make the photobook?

The site I keep coming back to is http://www.tictacphoto.com/en?x=21&y=8 I've found their method the easiest to use.

I've seen other sites appearing in some of the daily deal sites but I've found them quite difficult to use.

spectra.ie have a photo book service too

The other advantage of using the same website is the books are all the same if you want to stack them together on a shelf. I have a book of every year from 2005 with the year printed on the spine. I'm slowly getting around to scanning earlier photos especially my kids baby photos with the intention of going back another few years with the books.

I visited an elderly relative and as we looked at some old photos she said 'what were they thinking in those days, they haven't even written who the people are on the back!" So here I am rummaging through my photos and very few have the details on them. In the future when I am just a memory (aww!) no-one will know who the people or the places are in the photos. Darnit! Another time-consuming job to do before I shuffle off! :( I also found more than 40 boxes of slides. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Uploaded about 70 to Snapfish last night to get prints so will see how they turn once I receive them as its my first time to use them. My web connection was very slow but now have a better wireless connection. Very cheap and take Paypal but don't know what the quality will be like till they hopefully arrive in a few days. will keep you posted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tommytwotimes

My wife loves having albums of photos, which are great to take out and look over every so often. She has an iPhone and we use an app called Simply Photos to select photos and send them to their office in Galway from the phone, and we get them in the post within a couple of days. 5 photos at a time for €2.39 incl postage & packaging.
    We keep getting envelopes from them with more and more photos, DAMN YOU SIMPLY PHOTO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

We make up a calendar every year with family photos but other than that everything is digital. In fact I keep looking at the shoebox of photographs thinking that I really need to start scanning them in! I've four or five backups of my photos scattered around just in case (including two on another continent - just call me paranoid).

I think most families end up with the old ones where no one is really sure who is in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Photos arrived a few days ago from Snapfish. Good quality and can't complain about the price. Cost about E20 for about 180 prints {got 3 prints of each jpg}. Great stuff :D

Advertisement