Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malta in September......

Options
  • 03-08-2012 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I know I should have probably checked the forums a bit more so see if anything was written on Malta, but got lazy so here goes...

There's three lads, between 30 - 32 heading away to Malta for a week in September. Does anyone recommend it?!

We're not looking for somewhere like Kusadasi, or Hersonnisis, or Santa Ponsa, not that there's anything wrong with those places, just feel they're a little bit more tailored towards the package holiday, and don't weant to be around the 'egg and chips' brigade.

What we're on for is lots of sun, good scenery with a bit of history etc, blue waters and the option to head off to half decent pubs or the occasional nightclub.

Is there many people under 35 who go there?! Like all red blooded males, we're a little bit partial to chatting to a few members of the opposite sex as well!!!

Or is Malta like the Walking Dead. With a tan.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

not really an 18-30 type place, although you do get younger people going, but usually in couples. It is not the first place I would think of for 3 thirtysomething guys, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you go with an open mind.

Malta is very beautiful, but it does get ALOT of the egg and chip brigade being an old member of the Empire! and also a lot of retired people. So a mixed bag, but with the emphasis on the over 30s couples, familys and retired people.
    But don't be put off - in addition to the egg and chippers there are lots of really nice places to eat and things to see and do - not all kiss me quick hats!

If you are looking for nightlife head to St Julians/Paceville.

Plenty of history, Valetta and Mdina are gorgeous, really great to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. There are plenty of blue waters, but not many beaches. Be careful where you stay as if you are on the west of the island there are a few nice beaches but no night life, St Julians has no beach and st georges bay is a beach about as big as a kids sand pit! Gozo is wonderful, and if you want real blue waters a trip to the Blue lagoon is recommended, although it does get VERY busy so go early.

So be careful where you stay - if you are prepared to get the bus to the beach then St Julians, if you want to be close to a sandy beach then Meliha bay, and you can get buses and taxis to St Julians - its not that far really (given the whole island is only about 20 miles long!) and between 3 of you the taxi home would be cheap enough.

Marsalokk is lovely - a little fishing village in the south of the island, lots of nice quayside restaurants, great place to spend an afternoon for lunch and a few beers.

Get a car and travel around - it is a great way to see the island. They drive a bit mad so be careful, but we found it wonderful.

Weather in Sept might be a bit hit and miss - it will be nice but you might get cloudy days. On these days get the bus to Valetta or go sightseeing.

I don't recommend the open top bus tours - you can see more and cheaper by using public transport.

And after all that....enjoy! Give it a go, I'm sure it will be enjoyable, even if it is not ideal for your type of hol! Malta is wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Ah that's great!!! Thanks!

We've actually decided to stay in Buggibba, or Qawra. It seems to be a good location, and only a short cab ride away from St. Juliens/Paceville for the nights out. Also seems like it's a lot quieter than the bigger towns but still a few pubs etc for a few beers, and close to Gozo.

I hear ya about the older people/couples thing, but just wanted somewhere small with a great sense of history which isn't totally over run with yobs (of all ages!) with the options to have a good night out!

I heard about the blue lagoon and Valetta as well. Should be well cool.

And I'm sure we'll be able to sniff out a few of the local ladies with a bit of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Great history in Malta.

Make sure you book tickets for the Hypogeum well in advance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogeum_of_%C4%A6al-Saflieni

Megalithic temples on Gozo very impressive:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalithic_Temples_of_Malta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Ah that's great!!! Thanks!

We've actually decided to stay in Buggibba, or Qawra. It seems to be a good location, and only a short cab ride away from St. Juliens/Paceville for the nights out. Also seems like it's a lot quieter than the bigger towns but still a few pubs etc for a few beers, and close to Gozo.

I hear ya about the older people/couples thing, but just wanted somewhere small with a great sense of history which isn't totally over run with yobs (of all ages!) with the options to have a good night out!

I heard about the blue lagoon and Valetta as well. Should be well cool.

And I'm sure we'll be able to sniff out a few of the local ladies with a bit of luck!!!!

we stayed in Buggiba last time - fairly quiet, however. A few pubs but not loads, and a few of them were only open weekends. But then again we were there in May. If you do stay in Buggiba I can HIGHLY recommend the kebab shop just at the top of the main street. Owned and run by Turks, the food is really good, and really cheap (or maybe our portions were better given that the OH is Turkish! ;))

Qwara is not really nice at all IMO. Wouldn't be keen on it at all - no atmosphere in the place. In particular AVOID the Qwara Palace hotel. But if you do stay in Qwara avoid the area along the sea front, or that faces onto the JFK memorial - this is the dead end of town. Back further into the Qwara is more lively.

Neither are particularly close to Gozo - you will still need to bus it to the tip of the island for the ferry. Its not that they are far, but if you are looking to be close Melieha bay is the closest.

For what you guys seem to be looking for, I would recommend Sliema as a base to stay. Great transport routes from there, ideal for getting to St Julians (you could actually walk it, and less than 10 mins in a taxi).

Advertisement