Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Choice -Movies or Games?

Options
  • 03-08-2012 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Im trying to pick my carear and the two jobs I think I would like is to work on movies somehow or work on game design

Im trying to figure out how would I know if id be good at it or stick the 4 years in college.

I have a tendency to get really stuck into something for a short period of time and then when my attention turns in another direction I go with that.

Iv had this feeling though that i need to devote myself to a career by the time im 23 -1 and half years away (so i can apply to college as a mature student) Going to do some travelling first then 4 years in college

Id like to get in to movie special effects either but i never done art as a subject, iv always liked doing it but never studied it.

I was thinking if all else fails Id do a computer science degree but i want to do something with artist creativity and feel i would get bored of computer science .

Any ideas on how to find out what i want to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Toby7658

Hi,

I have worked in the film industry for many years and now find myself looking for courses in other fields. The film industry can be a difficult industry to work in.

As it is freelance mainly, there are times of long term unemployment and for many i know, they are either temping until something comes up or they are working, literally, flat out, chasing gig after gig with not much of a life thereafter.

It is something that you must really, really love.

I, personally, do not recommend going to college to study film. (I found it to be a waste of my time) Work experience is the way to go, in my opinion. That is how i got involved (after years of study). Within 6 weeks of work experience, i was offered a job. Nothing that I used in Uni, applied to the day to day tasks nor did it give me the tools to get a job.

As there are no age limits working in the film industry, i recommend studying something you can fall back on first, something secure, then look into a career in film.

This, of course, is only my opinion. Hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Liamu2

yes thanks very much for this advice. You have cemented my choice in studying civil engineering first and then persueing my true interests after this . Your advice greatly helped me out in a hard crossroads I was at . Good luck with your career for the future !

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

If it's game design/special effects you're into you could try a multimedia course. DCU have a good one. here's whats on it at the moment.

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=MMA

Advertisement