Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High speed set up

Options
  • 03-08-2012 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice on an high speed project. just looking for advice on good parts eg piston, tappet plate etc... all goin to plan i should be running a g&p m120 motor with shs 16:1 or 14:1(still undecided) on a 7.4v lipo in a v2 mechbox.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    Har

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

a basic mosfet :)
    and bushings, not bearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

hobby airsoft were doing SHS 13:1 gears, these are pretty good.
    id use this piston with these piston heads this motor or this one instead of the G&P. however to get the best out of the tm motor leave the fps around the 300 mark. tappet plate and dont forget a delayer chip.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Quick high speed breakdown:

Super Shooter 7 metal tooth piston (swissed),
    Standard piston head (bearing adds too much weight to the piston, you want it as light as possible),
    Bearing spring guide,
    Mosfet
    Siegetech 14:1 ratio gears (shim using the bevel method for ultimate precision.
    Solid metal bushings,
    Sorbothane the cylinder head to correct to AOE.
    Any decent high speed motor, I don't know how fast you want it so ill hold off recommending one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

How fast? I'm going to assume mega-awesome-ultra-speed :D

- 11.1v Lipo
    - Neodymium Magnet high torque motor (faster acceleration; if you want high ROF in sustained fire, then high speed, but otherwise you really want the acceleration)
    - Bearing spring guide
    - Good polycarbonate piston (Swiss cheesed)
    - 13:1 gears (or Dual Sector gear from Siegeteck)
    - MOSFET

It helps if you think of it logically. The motor determines max RPM, and you need a battery that can supply enough current for its max RPM. You want as little resistance on the motor as possible, since you're using high speed gears it's working hard, so don't pull any unnecessary weight - hence why you lose the bearing piston head, and metal tooth pistons (and why you swiss-cheese).

Since you're using high powered batteries, you need a MOSFET to prevent your contacts arcing and to reduce the carbon build up. You're looking for the gears to have as fast a revolution as possible, so 13:1 gears are very quick, but the DSG (dual sector gear) is faster...by a lot.

You can also do the old school method of short stroking to hell, but that means you're pulling a stronger spring.

EDIT: So yeah, I forgot to add loads!

The bearings/bushings argument...unless you're using super high quality ceramic bearings, they're going to collapse on you. Switch to metal bushings for cheaper more sustainable high ROF gun.

Since your gun is going to be ticking over at a very high speed, it is absolutely imperative that you have your gun tuned to perfection. That means shimming AOE must be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Hareton

Inari wrote: »
    How fast? I'm going to assume mega-awesome-ultra-speed :D

- 11.1v Lipo
    - Neodymium Magnet high torque motor (faster acceleration; if you want high ROF in sustained fire, then high speed, but otherwise you really want the acceleration)
    - Bearing spring guide
    - Good polycarbonate piston (Swiss cheesed)
    - 13:1 gears (or Dual Sector gear from Siegeteck)
    - MOSFET

It helps if you think of it logically. The motor determines max RPM, and you need a battery that can supply enough current for its max RPM. You want as little resistance on the motor as possible, since you're using high speed gears it's working hard, so don't pull any unnecessary weight - hence why you lose the bearing piston head, and metal tooth pistons (and why you swiss-cheese).

Since you're using high powered batteries, you need a MOSFET to prevent your contacts arcing and to reduce the carbon build up. You're looking for the gears to have as fast a revolution as possible, so 13:1 gears are very quick, but the DSG (dual sector gear) is faster...by a lot.

You can also do the old school method of short stroking to hell, but that means you're pulling a stronger spring.

EDIT: So yeah, I forgot to add loads!

The bearings/bushings argument...unless you're using super high quality ceramic bearings, they're going to collapse on you. Switch to metal bushings for cheaper more sustainable high ROF gun.

Since your gun is going to be ticking over at a very high speed, it is absolutely imperative that you have your gun tuned to perfection. That means shimming AOE must be perfect!

Cheers. A lot to think about. What would you recommend piston, tapper plate wise etc... If you were gonna run the set up I mentioned. Not looking for that crazy rate of fire. I presume you don't use a full metal tooth piston as you'd want that to fail rather than a 40€ plus set of gears?

• Advertisement
Advertisement