Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Age Card problems. Help needed urgently!

Options
  • 02-08-2012 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this thread belongs here or what so move it if necessary.

The Garda Age Card website is an absolute nightmare and it's currently not working. I think its stupid that you have to order the form online anyway. :mad:

Is there any way I can apply for the card without going through the internet, considering the site doesn't work anyway?

Can I just go to the post office or Garda station, hand them a tenner and ask that the form be sent out to me? I don't see why not.

I need this card quick as it's leaving cert results night in 13 days and I just realised that my passport is out of date and I don't think any places accept a provisional license as I.D. these days.
    Thanks in advance for all help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

I don't know if this thread belongs here or what so move it if necessary.

The Garda Age Card website is an absolute nightmare and it's currently not working. I think its stupid that you have to order the form online anyway. :mad:

Is there any way I can apply for the card without going through the internet, considering the site doesn't work anyway?

Can I just go to the post office or Garda station, hand them a tenner and ask that the form be sent out to me? I don't see why not.

I need this card quick as it's leaving cert results night in 13 days and I just realised that my passport is out of date and I don't think any places accept a provisional license as I.D. these days.
    Thanks in advance for all help :)
    Have they stopped doing this in Garda stations? When I was 18 I was given a form and told to come back on a certain date. They then took photos of all the applicants and sent it out to me, as far as I remember. Why wouldn't your provisional license do by the way? I would have thought that would be better than an age card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Zoria wrote: »
    Have they stopped doing this in Garda stations? When I was 18 I was given a form and told to come back on a certain date. They then took photos of all the applicants and sent it out to me, as far as I remember. Why wouldn't your provisional license do by the way? I would have thought that would be better than an age card.

you have to pay online first and then you get the form by post. Which is ridiculous IMO.
    Well if I don't get the card I suppose I'll have to try and use the provisional but I don't think many clubs accept it as I.D. not sure tho. I mite try and use my passport and hope to god they don't realise it's out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Nah they changed it all, I had one when I was 18, got it from the station, had to get a new one there recently and they only do them online now. Stupid system but meh... If you have bank cards and stuff they are usually ok with ID in most places.

A bank card? Really? How would that do as I.D.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Sync wrote: »
    Nah they changed it all, I had one when I was 18, got it from the station, had to get a new one there recently and they only do them online now. Stupid system but meh... If you have bank cards and stuff they are usually ok with ID in most places.

Not on leaving cert night. Out of date ID is fine as your DOB will not have changed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

A bank card? Really? How would that do as I.D.?

Ah sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was if you have an out of date ID, but have bank cards or w/e with the same name... :o

Sync wrote: »
    Ah sorry I wasn't clear, what I meant was if you have an out of date ID, but have bank cards or w/e with the same name... :o

Ahh I see :L

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

They do not have to accept passport if its out of date and nor do they have to accept provisional licence, from past experience of working on doors (long time ago now) bring both, explain to door staff before they spot it and they will that your passport has expired while explaining hand the licence and passport over if your honest and nice the door staff should let you in, they are required by law to ensure ID is not out of date so its there discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They do not have to accept passport if its out of date and nor do they have to accept provisional licence, from past experience of working on doors (long time ago now) bring both, explain to door staff before they spot it and they will that your passport has expired while explaining hand the licence and passport over if your honest and nice the door staff should let you in, they are required by law to ensure ID is not out of date so its there discretion.

An expired passport is still valid for purchasing alcohol as proof of age. They don't have to accept it as they don't have to admit anyone they don't want to but there is no problem with the ID.

Holy God. We should be branded with the date like sheep at birth just to stop any confusion like this. Hate when things like this happen at the most awkward of times :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

An expired passport is still valid for purchasing alcohol as proof of age. They don't have to accept it as they don't have to admit anyone they don't want to but there is no problem with the ID.

Actually No Its note, The reasons a expired passport is not valid is it may be Tampered with and passed on to someone who is below age while the real holder of the passport now uses a new one, The Onus is on the licenced premises to prove that they took all reasonable measures to ensure no persons under age where purchasing Alcohol, They wont take risks on Leaving Cert night, If I was the OP I would be honest and hand the passport & Licence over.

Actually No Its note, The reasons a expired passport is not valid is it may be hampered with and passed on to someone who is below age while the real holder of the passport now uses a new one, The Onus is on the licenced premises to prove that they took all reasonable measures to ensure no persons under age where purchasing Alcohol, They wont take risks on Leaving Cert night, If I was the OP I would be honest and hand the passport & Licence over.

Yeah i'll hand them both over. But I won't say anything about it unless I'm asked. Don't wanna ruin my chances of gettin in altogether. I look like I'm about 12 too so that won't help greatly either :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

You dont need a debit card/credit card to get the Garda Age Card. You go to the Post Office and buy a Garda Age card voucher. Its €10. Then you apply on-line. In a couple of days you will get a partially completed form which the Gaurds
    will process for you. In a couple of weeks you will get your card. simples.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Not really a State Benefits issue. Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement