Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Mac installation discs

Options
  • 02-08-2012 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you might be able to help.

I have old Snow Leopard installation discs while my friend's laptop is currently on Leopard (the OS before Snow Leopard).

Can he simply use my discs to install the new(er) software to his computer? I can't seem to find authorisation codes either which might be another issue.

This is a stupid question but will letting him use the discs somehow negatively impact my OS/laptop/Apple account?!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hi all,

Hope you might be able to help.

I have old Snow Leopard installation discs while my friend's laptop is currently on Leopard (the OS before Snow Leopard).

Can he simply use my discs to install the new(er) software to his computer? I can't seem to find authorisation codes either which might be another issue.

This is a stupid question but will letting him use the discs somehow negatively impact my OS/laptop/Apple account?!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks
    C

While I dont condone it, there are no DRM restrictions put on the OS discs. No cd key, and as long as your friend uses their own apple account, you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

miralize wrote: »
    While I dont condone it, there are no DRM restrictions put on the OS discs. No cd key, and as long as your friend uses their own apple account, you should be ok.

Thanks so much Miralize!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

But it won't work unless he has the same hardware as you or unless you have a generic installer disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Liameter wrote: »
    But it won't work unless he has the same hardware as you or unless you have a generic installer disc.

Yeah, if its the disk that came with your Mac he has to have he same Mac. If you bought it then it'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

bertie4evr wrote: »
    Yeah, if its the disk that came with your Mac he has to have he same Mac. If you bought it then it'll be fine.

not completely true, have used disks from different models in the past and worked a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

I think it's more of a logic board firmware thing than actual 'same model' based restriction. If the Macs have the same LB firmware version, the install discs will probably work OK. If not they won't.

Advertisement