Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola Talkabout

Options
  • 02-08-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭

Where, in this stupid country, can I find some Motorola Talkabout walkie talkies? Actually losing my mind here.

Looking for these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_I5AcqXfY&feature=relmfu or similar, found them on eBay from USA but will USA comms work here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

They're ****e.

Get the XTR446 from pixmania.ie - set of 2 for 80, will do for 99% of applications, come with headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

got my hands on one of those XTRs recently and was about to ask about the headsets that come with them.

i know little about radios but if it has a VOX setting and teh mic is plugged in am i right that everything i say will be broadcast on the channel?

anyone know of a headset i can get that has a transmit button on the cable? so basically put the radio on my vest run the heaset through my clothes and when i want to speak to my team i hit transmit that way they dont hear me when i trip over and break my face or hear me calling hit every 2 minutes:mad: the socket for the headset is single pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

gerrowadat wrote: »
    They're ****e.

Get the XTR446 from pixmania.ie - set of 2 for 80, will do for 99% of applications, come with headsets.

Do the XTR use the same talkabout 1-pin connection??

The one I have has a port for a headset that only fits one pin and the headset that came with it was also a single pin one.

Well if we could meet up you could test my system (should do what you want) and I can see if it works before we both spend money!

• Advertisement

Where you based? I'm in dublin city tomorrow around lunch other than that I'm out at dark mist saturday night.

I'll be at Dark Mist Sat night, too! That's perfect! See ya then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Where, in this stupid country, can I find some Motorola Talkabout walkie talkies? Actually losing my mind here.

Looking for these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_I5AcqXfY&feature=relmfu or similar, found them on eBay from USA but will USA comms work here?
    The US PMR frequencies are not the same as the European ones so handsets bought there will probably not work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, best to avoid vox alright.

there are a number of 1-pin headsets you can buy, I've actually gotten lucky with stuff off ehobby or ebairsoft, get the bowman or swimmer style headset.

Just make sure you give it a tighten and there's no crackle when you move cables, and that your talk button works - nothing more annoying than having some numpty with a dodgy ptt on the channel.

Well see that's why I wanted a set with push to talk on the wire, I'm a big unfit lad and after about 5 minutes I'm huffung and puffing like a heavy breather on the phone :) and no one needs to hear that all night.

MagicIRL I'll see you there saturday and we can see how it works

• Advertisement

@gerrowadat do those bowman type headsets have a pust to transmit button on them or something?

Picked up a headset fo 30 in a place on ormand quay in dublin. Comes with an earpiece and a mic with lapel clip. The mic is push to talk. Basically turn vox off and select your channel and you're sorted. Worked a treat.

Advertisement