Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My wife has just published her first fiction book

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

There should be a subforum for people who want to pimp their book but who have never posted here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Congrats to your wife on writing her first book, what a great achievement. I had a preview read of Chapter 1 there.

It's self-published though, isn't it? I can tell because there are spelling and punctuation errors strewn throughout at least Chapter 1. It's really important that you get your story in tip-top condition before you get it published. I know you can update the upload as you notice errors, but I have huge reservations about self-publishing and errors like this really grind my gears. You have to put your best foot forward if you want to be taken seriously.

I would say that the story is dialogue-heavy, and that adds to the break-neck pacing of the story. Seriously, it went from the present to the past to the present all in a matter of paragraphs and often the pacing of time was too fast for my liking. Breaking the dialogue up with more description and exposition would be very beneficial to the story. There's simply too much happening without enough 'meat' to the story, and it's hard to have any connection with the character.

Finally, shameless self-promotion on here is frowned upon. The forum usually doesn't mind a regular mentioning their ongoing writing or their new novel, but it's not an advertising space for every other writer.

I wish your wife good luck with the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FarmJames

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll let my wife know. I didn't realise about the promotion and read other threads of others who had published their works so I'm sorry about that.

We do want feedback on what you can read. It's much appreciated. She has dyslexia so the punctuation is an issue and I've done my best to help her with that but we cannot afford a proper editor at the moment. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

he opened his eyes looking agitated or something. "You ok?"
    "yea just need to pee"

^ what?

missing punctuation in several places
    "I shuck my head"
    Shuck: Noun:
    An outer covering such as a husk or pod, esp. the husk of an ear of corn.

then she goes in about 5 mins from "omg i dont know whats happened whats happened omg is it cos im fat is he having an affair" to declaring "NO CHLOE IT WAS ME I CHEATED"

I'm not reading any more than that

wish her all the best but find an editor. Or if you can't afford one, take the book down and republish it when you have gone through it more carefully - otherwise you will just get a bad reputation for this

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm going to lock this as it wasn't posted looking for advice or feedback but just to advertise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement