Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's next ; grants applications etc

Options
  • 02-08-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Got my offer today an have accepted :) so just wondering what my next steps are.
    Particularly in regard to grants and social welfare etc as I am a single parent and Wil have to depend solely on s.w and grants.

I saw on student finance website that there is a grant application, should I fill this one or are there others? Or where should i go or what should I be doing for this?

I'm currently in receipt of social welfare so do I need to go into them in regard to changing my payment or what would Be he situation there?

If anyone has any advice, info or tips please do share as I'm lost here!!

And is there anything else I currently need to be looking into sorting out now besides what iv mentioned above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Hi, congratulations on your offer!

This site www.studentfinance.ie will get you started. You might be eligible for the Back to Education Allowance or a maintenance grant. There are lots of good threads on here about both that explain them better than I could!

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

qwertytlk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Got my offer today an have accepted :) so just wondering what my next steps are.
    Particularly in regard to grants and social welfare etc as I am a single parent and Wil have to depend solely on s.w and grants.

I saw on student finance website that there is a grant application, should I fill this one or are there others? Or where should i go or what should I be doing for this?

I'm currently in receipt of social welfare so do I need to go into them in regard to changing my payment or what would Be he situation there?

If anyone has any advice, info or tips please do share as I'm lost here!!

And is there anything else I currently need to be looking into sorting out now besides what iv mentioned above?

Goto social welfare and ask about applying for BTEA first

then apply to student finance for a grant to pay the fee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

if you are recieving one parent family allowance you can recieve the grant aswel but if you change to btea you will not recieve the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

your best bet would be apply for back to education allowance from Social Welfare, you can print off the form and send it to your local office(your probably better off bringing in in person if you can)

but then you also apply for the grant, you will not get the maintenance portion of the grant but you can get it to cover your student contribution which isn't covered by BTEA

Advertisement