Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Whedon character?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mal at #1 is justice.

Willow at #2? Laughable. I'd have booted her out and put Wesley in.

Would have liked to see Anya too. Defo top ten material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Willow was a shocker alright. Spike is way better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Buffy and Mal are both my favourites. Sounds obvious, but that's because they deserve it! I also loved Kaylee in Firefly <3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I do like Jayne, hard hitting, hard drinking idiot as he is. But my favourite (from the Buffy series) was Drusilla. Wonderfully played as scatty, mad evil and sexy all in one by Juliet Landau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Angel and Spike need to be higher, Willow, Dr. Horrible and Fred need to be lower imo. They missed a trick having criteria that leaves out certain characters like Faith and some of the big bads from Buffy/Angel.

And... no Xander?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 damad1

mal, wash, willow and jayne defiantly but where are zoe and inara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Drusilla was wonderful.

Spike was great until he wound up turning into some insufferable proto-Edward Cullen from 5th season onwards. Faith is a funny one, she was a great character, but I always felt like Whedon himself never quite "got" her the way some of his writers did. She was a lot of fun in the third season, but it was the two fourth season episodes, and then the Angel ones, that turned her into a living, breathing character of her own rather than just an illustration of something about Buffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

damad1 wrote: »
    mal, wash, willow and jayne defiantly but where are zoe and inara

In my bunk. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

For the villains I always liked the Mayor of Sunnydale. He was of course an evil maniacal creature of darkness, being a politician, but he had a rounded personality to him and seemed to build a father/daughter relationship with Faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Angel, Spike and Mal would be in my top 3, probably in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Giles - he's just awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Clearly Firefly and BtVS&Angel are Whedon's major legacy so far. Honourable mention for Dr Horrible. But no Dollhouse. Which I agree with.

I take issue with the fact that Fred/Illyria is a character because it's not. Fred and Illyria are two different characters who just happened to have lived in the same body.

Inara was a fascinating character and deserves a place in this top 10. My beloved Tara is missing. Cordelia went through a lot of character development which made her become gradually more interesting in Angel.

Giles deserves a higher spot imho. His largely unexplored dark past as magic dabbling Ripper and how he became a Watcher from there would make for an epic spinoff:cool:

I actually appreciate Willow having a high spot. The way they explored addiction through her character was excellent. If I am not mistaken she also had one of the first same sex kisses on mainstream television.

Making a top 10 is difficult. Whedon breathed life into so many wonderful characters, whose awesomeness often relies on interactions with other characters that it's practically impossible to choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Do we not count characters from SHIELD?

Ok I can't think of anyone from that apart from Coulson, who isn't a Wheadon character anyway. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,005 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jayne should be higher up

Mal at No. 1 is correct

I would have River, Kaylee and Doyle in my top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If you like Firefly the series is being re-shown on Sci-Fi at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Already set to record :)
    Who says I can't watch the whole series again? (and again)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wesley not in the top 10?

tumblr_m00k6fpFul1r8gsqgo5_250.gif

Advertisement