Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emulators 1080p (question)

Options
  • 01-08-2012 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Possibly in the wrong section here but I have downloaded zsnes and snes9x. My computer has a hdmi ouput which I'm running on a full HD tv so I'm just wondering does anyone know how I can tweak the settings of either for the best video output1? Any help would be great and also this is a discussion about emulators thread :)

Possibly in wrong section, so feel free to mooooove!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Try the arcade and retro section. They know everything there is to know about emulators.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Try the arcade and retro section. They know everything there is to know about emulators.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

cool thanks! I was going to post there but I thought it was only for trading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'll shift her over so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because you are playing it on a HDTV it's not going to look as good as on a low resolution CRT monitor. CRT monitors have an antialiasing blur that blends the pixels together to make it look higher resolution. If you play an emulator on a HD screen it's going to look blocky. Also I hope to god you aren't playing these games stretched to 16:9 because they look horrible. Make sure it's in 4:3, even with the borders it will look better.

There are ways to get rid of the pixelated look. Zsnes comes with a variety of filters. You are better off using WinZsnes which I believe supports a lot more filters. It's worth trying them out. Some like bilinear and trilinear filtering blur the pixels which looks absolutely appalling. Some like super eagle I think enhance the edges making the image seem a lot more high res than it is. Some people like this look but for the puritans on this forum it's never going to look as good as the console on a CRT screen.

I'd actually recommend completely against using ZSNES. SNES9x is a better emulator. However the emulator you really should be using is BSNES. It's a real system hog but it's far and away the most accurate SNES emulator out there so if you have the CPU horsepower then use it instead. Also it comes with a larger variety of filters that come very close to emulating the look of a CRT TV screen. It's worth messing about with them to find one you like.

WindSock wrote: »
    I'll shift her over so :)
    cheers! :)

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Because you are playing it on a HDTV it's not going to look as good as on a low resolution CRT monitor. CRT monitors have an antialiasing blur that blends the pixels together to make it look higher resolution. If you play an emulator on a HD screen it's going to look blocky. Also I hope to god you aren't playing these games stretched to 16:9 because they look horrible. Make sure it's in 4:3, even with the borders it will look better.

There are ways to get rid of the pixelated look. Zsnes comes with a variety of filters. You are better off using WinZsnes which I believe supports a lot more filters. It's worth trying them out. Some like bilinear and trilinear filtering blur the pixels which looks absolutely appalling. Some like super eagle I think enhance the edges making the image seem a lot more high res than it is. Some people like this look but for the puritans on this forum it's never going to look as good as the console on a CRT screen.

I'd actually recommend completely against using ZSNES. SNES9x is a better emulator. However the emulator you really should be using is BSNES. It's a real system hog but it's far and away the most accurate SNES emulator out there so if you have the CPU horsepower then use it instead. Also it comes with a larger variety of filters that come very close to emulating the look of a CRT TV screen. It's worth messing about with them to find one you like.

Cheers bud, I have all the original consoles I need and a CRT tv. I guess I'll stick to that for games I own. I'll give the emulator you suggested a go, thanks :)

Advertisement