Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Worst Radiohead Ripoff In History

Options
  • 01-08-2012 9:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

"please be happy
    I'm feeling so crappy, cause you're unhappy"

Aside from being made of generic riff samples, and lyrics a five-year-old could have written, that video is the absolute ****s. What do you do when you can't play guitar? Of course. Everything possible but attempt doing so.

This is Reh Dogg, the rapper who shot to internet abuse and obscurity with a music video that went viral in 2006 where he made an ass of himself, filming himself in the shower and ****. Apparently even that got to his head, as he's been making vids for his Low Infant-level horse**** at the rate of knots ever since.

He also thinks this is actually how alt-rock should sound. Wait for the chord/sample changes.

Disgusting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

ever think its a piss take designed to infuriate radiohead fans like yourself?
    He is a rapper after all and not a bad one either as it turns out.
    Check out 'just be a man' which is pretty good imo but hardly suitable fodder for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

dropdmusic wrote: »

"please be happy

Aside from being made of generic riff samples, and lyrics a five-year-old could have written, that video is the absolute ****s. What do you do when you can't play guitar? Of course. Everything possible but attempt doing so.

This is Reh Dogg, the rapper who shot to internet abuse and obscurity with a music video that went viral in 2006 where he made an ass of himself, filming himself in the shower and ****. Apparently even that got to his head, as he's been making vids for his Low Infant-level horse**** at the rate of knots ever since.

He also thinks this is actually how alt-rock should sound. Wait for the chord/sample changes.

Disgusting.

Yet you took time out of your day to start a thread about it. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I wouldn't get all pissy about it, he really isn't all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

dropdmusic wrote: »
    "please be happy

Disgusting.

Someone's being a likkle precious.

Anyone know the best radiohead rippoff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

notnumber wrote: »

mmm, muse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

"Depressing songs about math and fish get me hot" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

notnumber wrote: »

When they ripped off The Beatles (Sexy Sadie) for Karma Police

• Advertisement

RikkFlair wrote: »
    When they ripped off The Beatles (Sexy Sadie) for Karma Police

Lord above how did radiohead get away with that??:eek:
    Bet the beatles ripped that tune from someone else as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

It's hardly a rip off. The harmony is very similar granted but the two aren't similar enough to call Karma Police a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

Erm,

Due to similarities to "The Air That I Breathe", a song recorded by The Hollies in 1973, Radiohead was successfully sued for plagiarism. Consequently, Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are credited as co-writers of "Creep".[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28Radiohead_song%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yeah, The Air That I Breathe definitely comes to mind as a shameless ripoff. Radiohead subtly rip off stuff a lot though. Creatively, mind. Kind of like how Apple steal ideas and make them better, if you know what I mean.

If you're referring to the best band ripping off Radiohead? Probably early Coldplay stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Noooooooooo! This thread is not happening. It was better I didn't know these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Shur even the machines are doing it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

I don't know how many people here write music but there's a difference between ripping something off and borrowing ideas. Musicians and composers have been doing this for as long music has existed. "The Air That I Breath" lawsuit as far as I can see was mainly about the harmony of both songs being essentially the same. Radiohead are far from the first band to borrow harmony, in fact this was common practice in jazz music for decades. Not just in jazz either, how many pop songs have you heard that follow the exact same harmony as Pachelbel's Canon? Are all blues songs rip offs of each other? A rip off for me at least is something that goes beyond borrowed harmony. Rip offs are songs that take melodies, riffs, motifs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Bog wrote: »
    Due to similarities to "The Air That I Breathe", a song recorded by The Hollies in 1973, Radiohead was successfully sued for plagiarism. Consequently, Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood are credited as co-writers of "Creep".[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_%28Radiohead_song%29

I'm glad somebody pointed that out.

Radiohead are still great though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I don't know how many people here write music but there's a difference between ripping something off and borrowing ideas. Musicians and composers have been doing this for as long music has existed. "The Air That I Breath" lawsuit as far as I can see was mainly about the harmony of both songs being essentially the same. Radiohead are far from the first band to borrow harmony, in fact this was common practice in jazz music for decades. Not just in jazz either, how many pop songs have you heard that follow the exact same harmony as Pachelbel's Canon? Are all blues songs rip offs of each other? A rip off for me at least is something that goes beyond borrowed harmony. Rip offs are songs that take melodies, riffs, motifs etc.

I'm a big Radiohead fan, I'm not really serious when I say the "ripped off" The Beatles. I had drink taken :P I don't even like that phrase...ripped off. But its definitely one of the most blatant "borrowing" (shall we call it that) of a Lennon-McCartney song that I have heard.

Nothing wrong with that, I know Thom Yorke was a huge fan of the White album at the time, so maybe he was doing it as a bit of a pisstake at all those britpop bands (you know who) who aped the Beatles every move.

Advertisement