Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 8mb NGB Speed - Galway City

Options
  • 01-08-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've just signed up to Eircom 8mb NGB. I was previously with Three 3G mobile broadband. I am getting average speeds of 4-5mb/s on downloads and 0.42mb/s on uploads (see link or image in my sig). This is based in an estate on the outskirts of Galway city. To be honest, I am disappointed with the speeds, as the reason for the move from Three was to improve connection speed and reliability. I had hoped for speeds close to the 8mb/s. I realise the plan quotes "up to" 8mb speeds but given the location just outside Galway city, I hoped these speeds would be better. Would it be possible to check the line for problems if I PM my Customer details. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

friendface wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've just signed up to Eircom 8mb NGB. I was previously with Three 3G mobile broadband. I am getting average speeds of 4-5mb/s on downloads and 0.42mb/s on uploads (see link or image in my sig). This is based in an estate on the outskirts of Galway city. To be honest, I am disappointed with the speeds, as the reason for the move from Three was to improve connection speed and reliability. I had hoped for speeds close to the 8mb/s. I realise the plan quotes "up to" 8mb speeds but given the location just outside Galway city, I hoped these speeds would be better. Would it be possible to check the line for problems if I PM my Customer details. Thanks.

Thanks for your post friendface.

Can you PM your phone number so I can look into this.

Cheers,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Thanks for your post friendface.

Can you PM your phone number so I can look into this.

Cheers,
    Ant

Thanks Ant, PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

friendface wrote: »
    Thanks Ant, PM sent

Thanks for the PM Ant. I called Broadband support and they've changed the sync from 5mb to 7mb. They explained that the line checker only showed a max of 5mb (stable) for our line. We have been getting slightly better speeds since the settings changed. However, the results do seem to be less stable, with speeds fluctuating from 3.5mb/s - 6.5mb/s. I'll keep checking over the next few days.

Thanks again for all your help. I've been impressed with the level of broadband support so far, as well as the late opening hours for the broadband support line. Now, if we could just get our lines upgraded too :) Thanks again

Advertisement