Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

facebook :airsoft buy&sell

Options
  • 01-08-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

is this true i have heard that a lot of guy,s have moved over to facebook airsoft buy & sell . that is where the community from airsoft boards are now .. is this true .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

skywalk wrote: »
    is this true i have heard that a lot of guy,s have moved over to facebook airsoft buy & sell . that is where the community from airsoft boards are now .. is this true .

Is it true that a lot of people use facebook? Yes. Millions in fact.

The community from airsoft on boards.ie is on boards.ie, otherwise it wouldn't be the boards.ie airsoft community would it? Plenty of activity on the adverts forum, and people are free to use whatever fora/mediums that they want in addition to - or instead of - boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

not really, if you compare the volume of traffic here vs there, it seems like its fairly quiet on buy&sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭skywalk

well there does,nt seem to be a lot going on here in the last few weeks . so i met a friend today that i go airsofting with and just mentioned it to him that boards is very quite lately .... and he told me that everyone has moved over to airsoft buy&sell facebook . so i said why is that . and he said that there is too many rules with this that and the other plus the mods think they are god . where on face book there is none of that .?????

think he maybe right as there is not much happening here lately :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

well there does,nt seem to be a lot going on here in the last few weeks . so i met a friend today that i go airsofting with and just mentioned it to him that boards is very quite lately .... and he told me that everyone has moved over to airsoft buy&sell facebook . so i said why is that . and he said that there is too many rules with this that and the other plus the mods think they are god . where on face book there is none of that .?????

think he maybe right as there is not much happening here lately :confused:

Odd because there are even more rules on that page than here?

"Rules... All sale items must include: Photo. Price (if open to offers etc...). FPS if selling AEG, Pistol etc. Postage (is it included in price etc...). Working Condition, All deals finalised on the page. If item is sold or withdrawn please delete"

Here you only need state the price and FPS.

you maybe ! but you are going to be asked all they questions anyway . and if you do make a mistake .... you have the mods on your back and maybe a slap on the wrist or even a weeks ban or more ...
    anyone like to share there comments on this matter please do .

• Advertisement

so i met a friend today that i go airsofting with and just mentioned it to him that boards is very quite lately .... and he told me that everyone has moved over to airsoft buy&sell facebook .

"Everyone has moved" eh? Ask him who is "everyone" and then watch him stutter and fall over himself trying to answer. I've watched people catch themselves out on more serious matters (non-airsoft related) claiming "everyone says this", or "everyone is going there/doing xyz" only to be challenged and discover that "everyone" really means "me".

Salt. Pinch of. One please.
    and he said that there is too many rules with this that and the other plus the mods think they are god . where on face book there is none of that .?????
    you maybe ! but you are going to be asked all they questions anyway . and if you do make a mistake .... you have the mods on your back and maybe a slap on the wrist or even a weeks ban or more ...
    anyone like to share there comments on this matter please do .

Heh. And when you get burned because of the lack of any sort of rules which I may add are there to protect you and keep everyone honest? Or what happens when Mark Zuckerberg decides that he's changing the T&C of facebook again and that you have even less privacy than before because he doesn't believe in your privacy (his stated view on the matter) ?

Oh, and there is absolutely zero accountability for those governing facebook groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Hmmm.
    I was unaware of the existence of this airsoft buy and sell site. Looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Lemming wrote: »
    Heh. And when you get burned because of the lack of any sort of rules which I may add are there to protect you and keep everyone honest? Or what happens when Mark Zuckerberg decides that he's changing the T&C of facebook again and that you have even less privacy than before because he doesn't believe in your privacy (his stated view on the matter) ?

Oh, and there is absolutely zero accountability for those governing facebook groups.

The rules on boards don't actually protect anyone, boards could easily change the rules, too. As for accountability for people running boards adverts? Hah. Don't make me laugh.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

*gets popcorn*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This **** doing my nut in.

In the last month I've got SIX invites to different Facebook buy and sell places. Even made an admin in three when I couldn’t give a ****. Where basically it’s a copy and paste job across the platform from one group to another.

Someone took a positive in theory, step, in creating a dedicated website for sales. However with no registration or authorisation, it’s a bit of a joke. I’ve gotten PM’s from people offering money for my kit, after people have thrown up ads selling my stuff as a joke.

Facebook is social media platform, but in relation to actual “communities” , debate, conversations etc. its lightweight and simply put, not fit for purpose. One of my main gripes with the IAA at present, but we won’t go into that.

While there is a new Airsoft buy and sell being setup every week on Facebook, it is not detracting people from forums and its definitely not the “new thing”. It’s mainly populated by people who don’t use forums. And they also seem to be setup by people who have this internet thing of “ I run it so I’m twice as cool” or that they feel they can do one better.

I’ve gone off Facebook big time, it’s just a messy platform, where if you’re not posting short snippets, or liking photos of birds who have lost loads of weight, it’s completely inept for purpose.

I personally prefer a forum platform for this sort of sale, as its more organised and structured, allows proper ****ing paragraph structuring aswell as formatting and usability. Plus I don’t have to read “ Dat rifle so ace, wnt to trde fr Glock I hve, Gurda use the, lt me knw bbz xoxoxo”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lemming wrote: »
    "Everyone has moved" eh? Ask him who is "everyone" and then watch him stutter and fall over himself trying to answer. I've watched people catch themselves out on more serious matters (non-airsoft related) claiming "everyone says this", or "everyone is going there/doing xyz" only to be challenged and discover that "everyone" really means "me".

Salt. Pinch of. One please.

In fairness, a **** load of people have disregarded the advert sub forum and moved to Facebook and its like 20 groups and the dedicated classified site. While most are people who got banned for trying to sell stuff, or wanted away from boards, they have got alot of traction, and it is very obvious that Boards isn't first port of call for new players, or people selling for the first time.

They are mostly posting on the various Facebook pages and communities. Obviously simply put, because of the ability to MASS invite and spam your friend list and people normally just click accept.

Heh. And when you get burned because of the lack of any sort of rules which I may add are there to protect you and keep everyone honest?

They have rules, some of them over the top, some of them stupid, but they are there. At the end of the day its a civil trade, and no one is actually accountable for anything.

As already mentioned, its not like the rules here obsolve us from bad sales etc.

I'll forever be €120 out of pocket for the M9 I bought from a fella who conviniantly ****ed off and never posted on boards again, and the things internals might aswell have been made of lego. Boards arn't accountable for that, the rules didn't save me from the scam.

Everyone knows the infamous story of the young fella who picked up my TM Mp7. Younger then he said he was, wouldn't meet at the house to test the piece. I wasn't going to be passing up money for a wasted trip, but then had to deal with two days of phone calls where he had essentially broke the thing from mis use, and calling me nearly every hour with questions and ****.
    Then I had his Da on the phone threatening to puck the head of me for selling his son a dodgy gun, a gun he ****ing broke.

Gway out of that ****e with accountability and rules etc. its as flacid and meaningless here as anywhere else.

Similar to the above, there is none here, or anywhere when it comes to second hand trading, its a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

SitRep mentioned airsoftbuyandsell.com a while ago. i doubt FB is the best platform in teh world to be selling RIFs second hand to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Something i found on the facebook pages are
    1) Kids trolling
    2) broken crap
    3) Stuff bought here and sold there for a higher price
    4) most of the idiots that were banned here for ripping people off

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The rules on boards don't actually protect anyone, boards could easily change the rules, too. As for accountability for people running boards adverts? Hah. Don't make me laugh.

I knew you would bring that up. Yes, Boards could indeed change the rules. So could anywhere really when you get down to it. But the rather important distinction to note between boards, facebook, and about anywhere else is the following: Facebook HAS already shown a track record of doing so. Several times over in the last few years in fact.

And yes there is accountability on boards. It may not be to the pitchfork brigade's satisfaction, and speaking of which, invariably many users go off on a tirade resulting in them being their own worst enemy when making complaints & wishing to be taken seriously, but it is there and I have witnessed it enacted on moderators in the past.

As for Doc's posts, yes you'll always get dodgy chancers trying to make a quick steal on a sale/trade, and no amount of rules is ever going to change that; be it here, facebook, or a classifieds section in the paper. The old chestnut of "caveat emptor" applies everywhere. But where I disagree with you fundamentally is that there is zero accountability on boards regarding sales; the rules are there to provide as much protection as can be given to both buyer and seller to try and keep everyone honest. To keep everything on the table in full view of everyone so that it's as plain as day as to what is going on and who is doing what. It unfortunately still relies on people being honest enough to report someone trying to PM deal or the like and you'll never, ever, ever in a month of Sunday's address that 100%. But plenty of people who have tried to get around the rules for their own benefit get spotted and subsequently turfed out again & again for their dishonesty. So there is accountability; and I dare say far more than exists on a facebook group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Has anyone used this?

To clarify, by 'used this', I really mean something went wrong and you needed a mod to intervene and help you out.

If so, please post your experience, that would be really interesting. :)

Airsoft adverts is what it is. There will always be better places to sell, and there will be worse. It's all subjective and depends on your expectations.

Ask yourself this:
    How many people are using facebook? rumours are its close to a billion now.
    How many of them are Irish based Airsofters..? mmm.
    How does that dilute your chances of getting genuine, non tyre kicker, Irish, non spammy, interest in your item?

That leads to this:
    Who reads Airsoft adverts?
    Why do they read it?
    Do the people entrusted to run it ignore reports / pm's / concerns from users that we can do anything about? Or do they respond in a timely fashion without being paid to do so - purely because they give a crap about the forum and are willing to give up their free time to run it.

Make up your own mind. :)

Advertisement