Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Home Visit

Options
  • 01-08-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently lost my job and applied for Job Seekers Allowance. I was interviewed with the inspector who went over my bank statements etc.. Before leaving she said she would be in touch and that she might conduct a house visit and interview me in my home. Why must they do this when they have already interviewed me? Will she want to see all rooms in my house? It seems very invasive. Should I let her into my home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

jim2012 wrote: »
    I recently lost my job and applied for Job Seekers Allowance. I was interviewed with the inspector who went over my bank statements etc.. Before leaving she said she would be in touch and that she might conduct a house visit and interview me in my home. Why must they do this when they have already interviewed me? Will she want to see all rooms in my house? It seems very invasive. Should I let her into my home?

If you want to get your jobseekers allowance then yes you should let them in, if you have nothing to hide then what's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I don't know the reasoning behind why they want to visit your home they could have several reasons could be to make sure you actually live there.

I went through this myself the woman who visited was very nice and didn't go past the sitting room, she went through everything that I had already go through no time for even a cup of tea and she left.

While you had an interview with an inspector they ask you to produce the same documents several times even though they photocopy them the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jim2012

I have nothing to hide, its my home where I live, my private space where I have lived for 40years. I find it strange why this person would want to visit and interview me there since she's already interviewed me in the social welfare office. She has not specified why she wants to gain entry into my home. I am a 57 year old man and my wife passed away 5 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I have nothing to hide, its my home where I live, my private space where I have lived for 40years. I find it strange why this person would want to visit and interview me there since she's already interviewed me in the social welfare office. She has not specified why she wants to gain entry into my home. I am a 57 year old man and my wife passed away 5 years ago.

Well let her in then I'm sure she is following due process. There is a lot of sw fraud out there so this is a way they stamp it out. I'm not saying you are involved in the fraud.

It won't be the same woman that interviews you in your home at least it wasn't for me, its something you have no option over unless you cancel your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jim2012

Not going to let her into my home. A neighbor of mine went through an awful ordeal with the same inspector who questioned how they could afford a computer in their kitchen and tv. They said they felt very invaded and intruded upon afterwards. Its my home I don't have to let anyone into my home if I don't want. Would it be anything to do with the household charge I wonder? I never paid it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

a mate had a house inspection a few months back. Took note that he had a 48" HD TV, cinema setup etc, PC.

He just told themn when he was working he saved up and bought said equipment, and now he can't afford basic expenses. He got the Jobseekers allowance in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Not going to let her into my home. A neighbor of mine went through an awful ordeal with the same inspector who questioned how they could afford a computer in their kitchen and tv. They said they felt very invaded and intruded upon afterwards. Its my home I don't have to let anyone into my home if I don't want. Would it be anything to do with the household charge I wonder? I never paid it...

So you have something to hide then.

most of the time the people from social welfare are nice some aren't I don't know if there just in the job too long or thats just the way the are.

I have a 50" tv in my sitting room and the woman interviewing me didn't mention it I have a computer hooked up to my bedroom tv which is also a 50" but she didn't inspect the bedrooms(I don't know if they are even allowed)

You have already been to 1 interview the home one is identical it is not an inspection it is an interview and refusing it could affect your claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Im sorry you feel so threatened and vulnerable at this stressful time.Please let the Inspector into your house, because if you dont your claim will go no further. It will be closed and you wont get a payment.
    Please make sure you get the Inspectors ID before you admit him/her. Feel free to leave him/her outside with the door closed while you ring to check credentials.
    You must understand that even though you have answered all their questions in their office, they cannot simply take your word for it. They want to come to your home to check, firstly, that you are actually living there, and secondly that you do not have a spouse/partner with a job, who SW would expect to support you. Also, if you were living in the midst of magnificent surroundings you do appreciate that your account of your financial position would look suspect? Good luck with your claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is back to the dark ages when you had to sell even the blankets on the bed or hide them before getting any parish relief.

Some of these people are really OTT.
    One CWO was very nasty and said the ll should not be getting any rent for that house. I had verbal abuse from him too.

It can be done tactfully and without intrusion. It really can.

I hope the neighbours made a complaint about him.

I would hide everything and make the house look bare! It is anyways.

Please worry not re the household charge etc, and just let this happen so you will get the money you have a right to and need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement