Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nevin now on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Is John Joe Nevin up against the No.1 in the next round?
    Well at least he is guaranteed a Bronze Medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

overmantle wrote: »
    Is John Joe Nevin up against the No.1 in the next round?
    Well at least he is guaranteed a Bronze Medal.

Depends what you mean by #1. He's fighting Lazaro Alvarez the Cuban who was seeded #1, but World ranked #2 due to the AIBA's ranking system. He's the World champion and considered the best fighter at the weight though, so in reality he's #1.

The world ranked #1 was Yusunov, who was well beaten by the Mexican Oscar Valdez, who Nevin beat in his last fight. Yusunov was only seeded #4 however.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sure AIBA have Valentino as world number 1 even though Lomachenko is unbeaten that the weight, and he beat Valentiono in the WC last year and he won the world title. Lomachenko is seeded 1; Valentino was seeded 3 I beleive.

walshb wrote: »
    Sure AIBA have Valentino as world number 1 even though Lomachenko is unbeaten that the weight, and he beat Valentiono in the WC this year and he won the world title. Lomachenko is seeded 1; Valentino was seeded 3 I beleive.

Valentino won Silver at the Europeans, while Lomachenko didn't enter, Yusunov is the Asian champion, and although Alvarez is the champion from the Pan American games I don't believe this counts towards their ranking. Hence why we get rankings the way we do.

I'm glad the AIBA showed some sense and seeded fighters according to where they really should be other than just using their World ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,705 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big Ears wrote: »
    Valentino won Silver at the Europeans, while Lomachenko didn't enter, Yusunov is the Asian champion, and although Alvarez is the champion from the Pan American games I don't believe this counts towards their ranking. Hence why we get rankings the way we do.

I'm glad the AIBA showed some sense and seeded fighters according to where they really should be other than just using their World ranking.

Yes, but the Worlds came after the Europeans (Sep 2011), and Valentino got bronze compared to Lomachenko's gold. Anyway, that is AIBA and how they do it.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but the Worlds came after the Europeans (Sep 2011), and Valentino got bronze compared to Lomachenko's gold. Anyway, that is AIBA and how they do it.

I know that, but Valentino got a Silver and a bronze medal (although less points for his European Silver than World bronze), which translated to more points than Lomachenko's 1 Gold. Lomachenko got 0 points from the European because he didn't participate. I'm not sure I have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem with is I think they give too many points for the World Youth Championships. Often successful youths will transition to be successful seniors, but giving them the same amount of points as they'd get for continental success (eg. the Europeans), as is the way currently, isn't an accurate reflection on things. It'll normally take a couple of years for the Youth boxer to really settle into being a top class amateur at senior level.

Currently the system is as follows, rankings points are awarded for the Olympics, the World Championships, Confederation championships (Europe, Asia etc), and the World Youth Championships.

The Worlds give 1,200, 800, 700, 650, 500, 450, 400, 350, 100, 90 from 1st to 10th place respectively.

Olympics give 1,300, 900, 800, 750, 600, 550, 500, 450, 100, from 1st to 9th place respectively

Confederation championships and the Youth World Championships give 800, 600, 500, 450, 300, 250, 200, 150 from 1st to 8th place respectively.

There is slightly more to it than that, some of which slightly counteracts the Youth championships ranking towards the end of the 2 year rolling period over which the rankings are determined, but that's basically how it goes.

In the above system Valentino scores 1,300 for his World bronze and European Silver (700 and 600 respectively), while Lomachenko receives 1,200 for his World gold. I think that's fair.

Advertisement