Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying part time while working, How do/did you find it ?

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am wandering if i could get a bit of advise about doing part time studying while working. As i hop to do this next college year.

Is it hard to Juggle from any ones own experience?

Is it more expensive then full time?

Id really appreciate any opinions thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I studied part time while working full time for 3 years, it was the only way I could afford my courses. Part time study does cost more than full time study in a lot of cases but it'll depend on where and what you're studying tbh.
    I worked a flexible job where I wrote the roster so work never interfered for me but I've known people who've had problems getting time off for study, getting out of work ontime to make it into class and so on.
    I found it grand juggling work and study but at exam times it got a little stressful. I ended up using holiday days for time off a few times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not had any problems with it - though I'm only on to L2 modules and not L3 ones which have written exams yet.

I have occasional trips away for work in hotels which is when I get most assignments written, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think it can be hard, but it depends on a number of factors.

Firstly, you do need to be dedicated and committed. There will be times when you want to pack it in, given the number of conflicting priorities you may have.

Secondly, a supportive home life is important. My wife is possibly the most tolerant and supportive person on this planet, and it makes a difference. I am back studying after a break of about 10 years, and I wouldn't be able to do it without her support.

Also, your employer is important. Being able to say "gotta go now, college" is one thing. Being able to do it is another. Support for time off/exams and, in some cases, fees is also important.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Very much depends on the course and you. I did it for 2 years a long time ago - of course you will be able to do it and for most people full-time is just not a viable option.

If I had a choice though, I would submerge myself in a course full-time, especially if it was to degree level. It is important to give it your all (especially if you are doing a research project as part of course), and I cannot see how you can do that and a full-time job, the job will always come first. Others may disagree with this, and it may be different for certain courses, but that is my two cents worth.

It also helps if the course material is related to your job. You have to be very disciplined and as Tom said, support from work is essential (and not just agree to it in theory).

Even contemplating doing a part-time course shows you have the drive for it (and no matter how many negative comments you receive from people who have already done it, if you want to do it, you will). Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cherry Blossoms

I'm going into 3rd year this year. Its tough, I've felt like giving up lots of times. I have very little free time after work and college, weekends are devoted to studying and assignments, but it will be worth it! You need to be very disciplined with yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm just on the far side of finishing part time education. I got a Bsc, Diploma & Cert over the last 6 years(In difference subject).

In no particular order

1)Planning

Plans might come and go but planning itself is invaluable. You have to organise your time in advance and allow time for everything.

2)Escape points.

I structured my education so every 2 years i could walk away with something(Cert, Diploma, Degree etc). It helped me a lot to know i could cash in my chips at certain points.

3)Social life

Say goodbye to it. Or at least prepare for a drastic reduction. You only have a limited time per week so get used to the idea of budgeting your time.

4) Overload

I once decided to do a cert while finishing a diploma in a different subject. That was silly of me. Just do one course at a time and start off slow so you can figure out the work/life balance

5)Work

The day job is going to take priority at times. I used a *lot* of holiday time between assignments/exams etc. Having work on your side is very helpful.

Over the last 4 years i did the IT from DCU(Oscail) from scratch. Not to be recommended since it was effectively full time (By the ECTS points). I had to sacrifice a lot personally to that. If i was to do it again i would probably try to do it over a longer time frame.

Though i confess i am thinking of doing a history degree part time next... At some point. Right now im liking actually having a life again. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

hey,

thanks for all the responses on this, i agree i need to have a lot of time dedicated to this course as i know there will be alot of assignments and research .

i think i will swap and work part time or weekends with the help of a grant if im eligable, i may have to move home to go to college which is something im not so keen on. Hope it all works out.

thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I'm here for support too. I got my degree part time many moons ago, so I am aware of the dedication and commitment required. I'm going to do a masters this year part time whilst working, but my circumstances are different in that I have a child now.

I may be mad, but it would help to know I'm not the only mad person out there, and any tips for juggling work, home, study would be really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

I'm here for support too. I got my degree part time many moons ago, so I am aware of the dedication and commitment required. I'm going to do a masters this year part time whilst working, but my circumstances are different in that I have a child now.

I may be mad, but it would help to know I'm not the only mad person out there, and any tips for juggling work, home, study would be really helpful.

No, you're not alone - I find myself in the same situation. No tips yet so I'll be following this thread carefully. I'm not sure if I've just made the craziest and most expensive mistake of my life:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, some tips so.

1: find yourself somewhere quiet like a spare room to study. The kitchen table does not work, trust me. Too many interruptions.

2: have a clear demarcation between work and study. If you have to do some work at home, don't let that eat into study time and vice versa. Make sure your immediate manager is aware you are studying and why you can't work late on Tuesday.

3: be clear on what your employer will permit/support you with. Some employers will give time off, some will pay fees, some will even allow you expense back books - investigate all these.

4: Scheduling - make a schedule for study, work and time off. Especially so family/spouses know when you are free.

5: technology - look into the likes of Dropbox to backup your work. Very important the closer you come to end of semester/exam time. Also useful for collaboration with fellow students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

Thanks for the tips Tom, it's great to find some support from fellow Boardsies. I've never done any distance learning course before so it will be quite a challenge. It's a long time since I've formally studied so the prospect is daunting. Ah well nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, some tips so.

1: find yourself somewhere quiet like a spare room to study. The kitchen table does not work, trust me. Too many interruptions.

2: have a clear demarcation between work and study. If you have to do some work at home, don't let that eat into study time and vice versa. Make sure your immediate manager is aware you are studying and why you can't work late on Tuesday.

3: be clear on what your employer will permit/support you with. Some employers will give time off, some will pay fees, some will even allow you expense back books - investigate all these.

4: Scheduling - make a schedule for study, work and time off. Especially so family/spouses know when you are free.

5: technology - look into the likes of Dropbox to backup your work. Very important the closer you come to end of semester/exam time. Also useful for collaboration with fellow students.

This is all excellent advice. I have completed year one of a two year masters, so I can definitely agree with ALL the above. I used the kitchen table last year, but for next year I have turned the box room into an office. And dropbox is a the most useful tool I have found to date, I can check files on any computer with it which provides great flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 M&MsGer

Hi Mc Kenzie,

I studied a part-time distance learning Degree over 4 years and without a doubt a personal timetable/schedule is vital.

1. Being organised is key to succeeding. I have 2 small children (1 of which I had in the middle of my degree) and between work & their afterschool/weekend activities, there is very little personal time so having a timetable means you know when you've classes, when you're free to study & when assignments are due as well as when all the other non study important dates are such as kids matches, birthday parties, doctors appointments etc. etc.

2. Again, I agree with the posters above, having a quite space away from everyone is the most efficient way to study. I tried the whole kitchen table thing but when people can see you, they will start talking etc. & you can get side tracked.

3. Try & study each week, do not leave things to the last minute - I was notorious for this & ended up stressed out around deadlines & exams in the 1st 2 years of my course. When you study little & often, it sinks in more and you don't notice it. Instead of reading novels etc in bed, I started reading articles, journals & chapters from text books.

4. Back everything up - notes, assignments, etc. etc. Do not throw anything out or sell books until you're finished the course or sure they are of no more use as books from each year can usually be used for other years assignments - I think that there were only 2 books that I did not use for other assignments throughout the whole course.

5. Check what kind of study leave you are entitled to. Very important around sitting exams as I tried working around some exam times & you just end up kicking yourself afterwards thinking you might have gotten a better grade if you'd taken more time off to study.

6. Check what resources the college give you - i.e. online access to Journals offsite; offsite library access to eBooks. Journals were a huge help to me when studying as some can be a short concise overview of many things that you are studying plus when you reference them in assignments & exams, it shows that you have tried to understand the course/module further than what was subscribed.

7. Do not be afraid to ask questions even if you think it might be a stupid question. It is better to clarify, especially if it is related to what is required of you in assignments etc. Better to appear stupid before you submit assignments for grading than after you get the result.

8. Studying on lunch breaks was a life saver for me near the end of my degree. It was the only time that I knew no one would be looking for something - e.g. my kids :) 5 whole hours per week where you can sit at a desk, eat & study & then it does not eat into your home life. Probably not everybodies cup of tea but it worked for me :)

9. Financing course: check to see if your employer will cover part of the costs if it is somewhat related to your job. If not upfront, they may refund the money after you've successfully completed your exams. Plus, if they are helping to fund the course, they might be more willing to give you study leave etc. No harm in asking them.

Without a doubt it is tough going but I have to admit that I've missed not studying this past year since graduating. Maybe I'm mental......

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

Good luck to those returning to study. I'm back doing a second degree after almost 20 years. I work part time and have 3 children ... I was writing an assignment while in hospital with pregnancy complications last year ... Make no mistake, studying takes over ur life ... That said it flies by ... I'm in year 3 now and the end is nigh ... I've learned so much, not just about the course I'm doing, but personally. I'm uber organized ... I can prioritize so much more easily ... I can justify having time to myself to study ... Something that's very hard to do otherwise.
    I have had close to zero support from my employer ... Holidays are used for course days, exams etc. my advice is seek support from ur employer but don't bank on it. Good luck ... It's doable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Thanks guys :)

Really appreciated the great tips and i'm definitely going with the time table advise
    i think that's great.!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you !

(M&MsGer think im gonna copy your points so i remember !;))

Advertisement