Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Applicant

Options
  • 01-08-2012 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I'm currently on Jobseeker's allowance and have been holding out for a job for some time, but just now realising that I'd be better off doing a full-time college course. With the start of the college year closing in I'm just hoping there's still a chance I can get onto a course.
    What options do I have at this stage? I really don't want to have to wait until next year to do something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AP McCoy

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I'm currently on Jobseeker's allowance and have been holding out for a job for some time, but just now realising that I'd be better off doing a full-time college course. With the start of the college year closing in I'm just hoping there's still a chance I can get onto a course.
    What options do I have at this stage? I really don't want to have to wait until next year to do something.

You could do what I'm doing and apply for a college Access course, it will help with your college application next year most are a full year too. Or do some FETAC course in something that is relevant to the course you will be applying for. As far as I'm aware, you can't apply now as it's too late but someone else can comment on that.

I got refused this year when I applied to NUIG, but I'm actually happy as I've been out of education and in the workforce for a long time and an access course (foundation business course) would not only help me get back into the swing of things, but also if I pass all three modules, will be more or less guaranteed a place in the course I wanted for this year.

Whatever you decide, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

You could contact some colleges and see what they say, a phonecall to admissions offices will clear it up for you.
    I think some courses offer late applicants positions if the places aren't filled on the last round of offers but it depends on the course, college and the number of applicants etc.

Just make some calls and see what folks say.

If you are just deciding you want to go back this late into the season I would take time out to consider the options before jumping into it. It's a big commitment and you are better putting it off for a year and picking the right course and preparing for it instead of taking what you can at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

you could try the available/vacant places thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

Cheers for the replies :) I'll get in touch with some colleges and check out what Access courses are available too, will definitely have something to do for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jambo221 wrote: »

You might be eligible for btea as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

you could try the available/vacant places thing here

Regarding late places, I was talking to someone who 'knew a few things' at LIT and they were saying that the CAO might have to be reopened because there are so many empty places in courses across the country. So anyone who is looking for a place I'd hold on for the time being and see what happens.

Advertisement