Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the hell is tobacco so expensive in this country,

Options
  • 01-08-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

My sister brought me home 200 cigs from Lanzarote last week

200!! for 10 euro

over here its nearly 10 euro per 20 pack

something just isn't right about this

pure rip off

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... over here its nearly 10 euro per 20 pack...
    tax
    ... pure rip off
    Not at all, enjoy them while they're cheap at less tan €1 each, they'll soon be €2.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭maamom

Yes you're right something is not right about this. I wouldn't smoke them if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

It's because of these guys:

stranded_polar_bears.jpg

... carbon tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Because cancer treatment isn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Because the government has to suffer the cost of expensive cancer drugs so they are getting the money off you now instead of when youre in hospital coughing up blood and breathing through tubes, quit now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Because cancer treatment isn't cheap.

Agreed, but if every smoker in the country gave up tomorrow the income tax would be raised to 40% or so to cover the loss, the government know people won't quit, they don't want them to quit, why would they when they're getting 5/6 euro per pack in tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭murraykil

scudzilla wrote: »
    Agreed, but if every smoker in the country gave up tomorrow the income tax would be raised to 40% or so to cover the loss, the government know people won't quit, they don't want them to quit, why would they when they're getting 5/6 euro per pack in tax

I expect the savings in medical care and lost work days would make up for it; pension reserve fund would need topping up though! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

My sister brought me home 200 cigs from Lanzarote last week

200!! for 10 euro

over here its nearly 10 euro per 20 pack

something just isn't right about this

pure rip off
    Maybe because of the huge amount spent on treating smoking related illnesses every year- someone has to pay for treatment pay doctors etc..so tax is high on your cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The first response to the OP's question had the answer. Subsequent replies are contra to the forum charter. /Thread Closed.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement