Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still waiting for JSA

Options
  • 31-07-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I was self employed up until July 2011. My self employed business closed down and I de-registered with revenue. I've been on supplementary welfare since. Social Welfare refused my claim for Job Seekers Allowance as it was their opinion my business was prosperous going by the previous years accounts. My business hugely underperformed the first 6 months of 2011 so had no choice but to close. I appealed the decision with the appeals office. The appeals office responded by saying that going by the previous years income my business appeared healthy and that I can pay myself a weekly wage even though business completly dropped off and I was unable to support myself any longer in 2011. My application for JSA was closed so I reopened it this time submitting my closure of accounts that showed how badly my business was trading. I gave social welfare bank statements letters showing all the places I applied for work and had my claim closed as the inspector could not calculate my means and was not satisfied that I was living at my address full time because I was not there the morning the inspector called to my house. I then re-applied for Job Seekers Allowance and have heard nothing since May2012 from social welfare. I am still getting weekly supplementary welfare. Why is it taking so long and what does it mean if the inspector cannot calculate my means?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

For some reason they give previously self employed people a hard time, I waited 5 months for a JSA claim and had countless arguments with them over their pure ignorance and stupidity. I had a claim closed because I missed an appointment, it took me 4 weeks and 3 supervisors and 2 inspectors to get it reopened.
    I had to argue that the past is not now and previous accounts are nul and void as the problem was not then, I did not apply for JSA last year or the year before.
    It amazes me that they think anyone can survive on no income. I was left 5 months with no money at all because they considered my wife working 30 hours a week close to minimum wage as enough to support 6 of us and a mortgage.
    I was refused SWA.

the inspector cannot calculate my means actually means that they cant be bothered to see the claim for what it is and spend all day over complicating things to the extent that they dont know what to do next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement