Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISIC vs. Student Travelcard

Options
  • 31-07-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm starting college this September and I'm really excited about it. But before I get too excited, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's acceptable to use ISIC cards for buying student tickets. I would be mostly using Dublin Bus but I'm curious about other modes of Transport as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I've never even heard of the ISIC card. The student travelcard is all based around travel (though is widely accepted for discounts in shops etc.) Some shops might sell you the student bus ticket with the ISIC card, but a bus inspector wouldn't accept it, they also don't accept ID from the college itself, only the travelcard, so it's worth getting. There are also some shops that wont accept the travelcard anymore & expect you to have your college ID.

Different places accept different cards, but the student travelcard is the most widespread & bus inspectors & probably luas/train inspectors will only accept the travelcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EduOfficer

Muir wrote: »
    The student travelcard is all based around travel (though is widely accepted for discounts in shops etc.) Some shops might sell you the student bus ticket with the ISIC card, but a bus inspector wouldn't accept it, they also don't accept ID from the college itself, only the travelcard, so it's worth getting.

+1 on this. If you get caught on a bus or train with a student ticket and no student travelcard, you will have your ticket confiscated and you will be fined. They are €15 and Student Travelcard are usually on every campus for registration. If you do it by post it's only €12 but you have to include your own photos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've used my student card for travel during the college year with J.J. Kavanagh before, and they have no problem accepting it. Bus Eireann have accepted it too, although I think they prefer the travelcard, since it's their parent company you pay for that.

I've used my student card for travel during the college year with J.J. Kavanagh before, and they have no problem accepting it. Bus Eireann have accepted it too, although I think they prefer the travelcard, since it's their parent company you pay for that.

Some drivers & inspectors can be nice & accept it but many wont, and for the €15 it costs I'd prefer that to a €50 fine and my bus ticket worth over €80 confiscated. If you go to Dublin Bus to buy the bus pass they often wont even sell it to you without your travelcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Citylink accept a normal student i.d card, as do Irish Rail http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4479

• Advertisement

Citylink accept a normal student i.d card, as do Irish Rail http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_offers.jsp?i=4479

That's good to know =]
    Dublin Bus will only accept a Student Travelcard though, because they sponsor it. AIB usually do a deal where you open a bank account with them & you only pay €3 for your travelcard.

Advertisement