Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Clondalkin

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am currently looking to buy a house and I was thinking of Clondalkin. Can anyone tell me where are the nice areas of Clondalkin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cappaghmore:Quiet,settled estate close to bus,train and local shops,Clondalkin Village

Monastery Estate (the one in Clondalkin Village itself not the newer estate near the Naas Road):Same as Cappaghmore really,only closer to the village.

Newlands:Again just a quiet area,close to schools,church,and the village,not great for public transport.

Other similar areas would be Floraville,Laurel Park,St.Bridgid's Estate and Convent Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Agree with above post. Most people in these areas are settled and have lived there for a long time.
    I grew up in a large estate but new people come and go all of the time, more houses being rented out, more young families so not very quiet areas.

I'd go for cappaghmore or monastery ( not monastery gate)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Cappaghmore:Quiet,settled estate close to bus,train and local shops,Clondalkin Village

Monastery Estate (the one in Clondalkin Village itself not the newer estate near the Naas Road):Same as Cappaghmore really,only closer to the village.

Newlands:Again just a quiet area,close to schools,church,and the village,not great for public transport.

Other similar areas would be Floraville,Laurel Park,St.Bridgid's Estate and Convent Road.

Agree completely there are a few other decent estates you could look at aswell, all depends on your budget really.

Also take a look at St Patricks Park, further down budget, the likes of Johnswood, Ashwood, Alpine, Michael Collins, Oakwood would all be decent enough estates with no trouble at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Castle Park is nice too.

This went sale agreed the other day. Try to overlook the horrific bathroom tiles :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I wouldn't agree with that part; it's only a short walk to the Ibis bus stop for buses into the city centre, the stop for buses going in the opposite direction is just across the bridge; the Luas Red Cow stop isn't much further either; and the 76 bus stops on the New Road are pretty much beside Newlands. The only thing it's not close to is the railway line, but that's not something unique to Newlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Where I live in Newlands it's a good 15/20 minute walk down the Naas Road to the Ibis to get the 13/68/69 or a 15 minute walk down to Molloys to get the busses there.

The 76 only goes to The Square/Ballyfermot,and its an even longer walk over the new-ish bridge to get the Luas,plus then its another 40 minutes or so for the Luas to get into town.I usually just cycle into town most days now as long as it's not too windy and rainy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Where I live in Newlands it's a good 15/20 minute walk down the Naas Road to the Ibis to get the 13/68/69 or a 15 minute walk down to Molloys to get the busses there.
    I live close to Newlands, maybe I just walk faster but I just wouldn't agree that it's not great for public transport based on the distance to the Ibis/Molloys stops or the Luas stop - I don't find it much of a trek at all unless it's pouring down but maybe I'm just used to it, I generally don't walk down the Naas Road way though.
    The 76 only goes to The Square/Ballyfermot
    I know, I was just making the point that there is another bus route beside Newlands, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

The housing estates surrounding Monastery rd are all nice areas and kept lovely, you should look in that direction. others have mentioned 'Cappaghmore' it's a nice estate also, but i've always found it a nightmare to get out of, with the traffic on ninth lock rd at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 yummynom

how about . Grangeview Road? what's that like?

I dont live to far from there under five min drive, and if I could if id avoid Grangeview to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 yummynom

thanks Marty, moving to get away from a bad area lol

ha wellthen avoid there, if your looking for dcent and affordable in Clondalkin try Ashwood, Alpine, Oakwood three decent nice estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Jontronix

Generally stick to the village area of Clondalkin if possible, generally the "worst" areas are those furthest away from the village. Prices can be higher in and around the village but some cheaper alternatives which are also nice but easier on the pocket are;
    St. Johns Gate
    Cherrywood Avenue
    Oakwood Grove
    Yellow Meadows

I've lived in about 8 different parts of Clondalkin over the past 30 years, and the nicest have been Cappaghmore & Monastery.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

yummynom, I'd agree with Marty here. I live in grangeview, and while the estate itself is OK with little trouble (I've been here 8 years), The surrounding area, has many undesirable elements, especially on St. Cuthberts Rd and the park, lots of broken beer bottles litter the road and dumped rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

Hi All,

I am thinking of moving to Clondalkin, but I am not familiar with the area. What area would be nice to live in for a family with a child? Any feedback about Oak Rise area or St John's Drive area? I am also interested in feedback about local schools ( primary to start with). I'd prefer Catholic mixed school for my son, but I'll consider Educate Together school as well.

Thank you

Hi , can someone advise on Westbourne Lawn/Grove area in Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daisykav

Hi all,
    Im interested in buying in Clondalkin. Not very familiar with the area. Ive a budget up to €170,000. What is St. Johns close, St. Johns heights to live?? I can see on the map its right beside Corkagh Park.
    Any parts I should avoid..??

daisykav wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Im interested in buying in Clondalkin. Not very familiar with the area. Ive a budget up to €170,000. What is St. Johns close, St. Johns heights to live?? I can see on the map its right beside Corkagh Park.

Hi, when I was looking to move to Clondalkin ( which I didn't do), I was advised on those areas as being OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

daisykav wrote: »
    Hi all,

St.John's and the area surrounding it are grand and quiet. Lived there for many years and have family that still do. Handy for the park and the 69 bus stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 walkingonthemoon

Hi all,

Any update on Westbourne Estate please? I'm also looking to buy a house in Westbourne Avenue/Green/Grove just wonder how is the area this days. I've been there couple of time now and seems to be ok. thanks for any response. cheers

Currently renting close to clondalkin village.

• Advertisement
Advertisement