Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a hypothetical for you...!

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I was lying in bed last night unable to sleep and this thought came into my mind for some reason.

Say a distant relative of yours wanted to will you their vast estate along with an absolute fortune in monies and gold wallpaper.

But there was one tiny snag - you can either -

ONLY collect home consoles and games
    or
    ONLY collect arcade machines and games

You cannot own a single one of the other.

Which would you go with?

I was thinking 'pff, arcade of course, no brainer' - but then imagine never being able to play a non arcade game ever again. A Link to the Past. ICO. SOTC. Anything.

On the other hand, imagine having long corridors full of vast libraries of every game imaginable. All that minty fresh CIB goodness. Darius Alpha? Multiple copies. Hell you have so many success letters you're using them as toilet paper. And the protos, oh all those unreleased carts nobody else gets to play but you.

But then imagine having your own arcade. The sounds. The lights. The feckin colour. The sheer awesome sight of 50 candies all running different games at once and knowing - it's all yours.

Yes I know, these are the things I worry about late at night. First world problems, yadda yadda :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    On the other hand, imagine having long corridors full of vast libraries of every game imaginable. All that minty fresh CIB goodness. Darius Alpha? Multiple copies. Hell you have so many success letters you're using them as toilet paper.

SteveSI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As much an arcade lover I am, in this case it'd have to be consoles. Arcade games are great, fun pick up & play type things. But like Hollywood action blockbusters, there's only so many you can take before you want something with more depth to it...ala console games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    SteveSI?

It's how I imagine his house alright :D
    EnterNow wrote: »
    As much an arcade lover I am, in this case it'd have to be consoles. Arcade games are great, fun pick up & play type things. But like Hollywood action blockbusters, there's only so many you can take before you want something with more depth to it...ala console games.

What if I said, In this hypothetical house, your door frames are all big enough to accommodate machines? :pac: Even sit down racers!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Surely consoles , I'd have to do with the arcade ports then .
    I confess it would be hard , sipping pina at the swimming pool and looking at my new Benz
    and Blondes and brunettes (shhhh......):P

Casey120 wrote: »
    and Blondes and brunettes (shhhh......):P

You can take the boy out of Holland... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What if I said, In this hypothetical house, your door frames are all big enough to accommodate machines? :pac: Even sit down racers!

Lol nah I'm stuck fast on consoles if its one or the other for life. There's only so many laps of Daytona or Ridge Racer you can do before you want something with some challenge in it.

Sometimes the feeling of sinking hours into a long twisting story arc just can't be beaten...even by a cab :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Has to be consoles and games, the sheer variety and, anyways, give it a year or two and most of the big arcade titles wind up on the consoles anyhow.
    It's only freaks into mad triple screen Darius games who have to give this one thought!

And, you can always build a cab, with a CRT and your modded console inside, playing all the games you like, Arcade Style! (this may be cheating).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

No , mame on console or PC with a good quality Arcade stick is surely not cheating ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's only freaks into mad triple screen Darius games who have to give this one thought!

OI! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Consoles for me, even though arcade cabs would be gorgeous. Nothing like sitting down to good auld Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger and play through them.

Plus you could make a throne of games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Steve X2

SteveSI?

I bet my house seems very regular and un-retro and un-nerdy compared to a lot of folks here.
    Until you walk into the man cave that is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Steve SI wrote: »
    SteveSI?

I bet my house seems very regular and un-retro and un-nerdy compared to a lot of folks here.
    Until you walk into the man cave that is :)

Photos please Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Hyperspin tbh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not a single vote for the arcade cabs? Freaks the lot of ya! :pac:

I'll go with the most awesome arcade setup ever please. Maybe 10 years ago I would have chosen consoles but no time for them these days. Suppose with one person going for the arcade we'd have both bases covered for the best beers nights ever too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Arcade cabs all the way, hopefully the will comes with a warehouse insulated and heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Arcade.

As nice as having a console collection to dwarf the last scene from Raiders of The Lost Ark, I really want an R360 to call my own. I'd play that thing 'til my retinas detach.

And then the nice people who train guide dogs will have the strangest commission of all time.
    Think Top Gun but with Lassie cast as Goose.

Advertisement