Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator covers: solid wood or MDF

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering about radiator covers and would like to get a few for the house! Some that I have seen in the DIY stores are made from MDF. I would have a few concerns about applying heat to MDF with all the chemicals and such? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Hi All,

I was wondering about radiator covers and would like to get a few for the house! Some that I have seen in the DIY stores are made from MDF. I would have a few concerns about applying heat to MDF with all the chemicals and such? Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Options are limited with regard to materials. Any solid timber is ruled out as it would twist and bend due to heat drying out any moisture.

M.D.F. is perfectly fine and probably used in any rad covers you have ever seen fir very legitimate reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would highly recommend mdf for this purpose. It will be stable. Won't shrink because of the heat, or warp or split or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

Thanks for all your responses. My concern was related to the release of formaldahyde over time, especially in bedrooms etc. I'm still not 100% convinced of its safety in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Thanks for all your responses. My concern was related to the release of formaldahyde over time, especially in bedrooms etc. I'm still not 100% convinced of its safety in the long term.

I would have no concern in relation to the formaldehyde being released over time. In face all the units, kitchen, wardrobes etc. iny house are made from mdf that is either foil wrapped or laminated and no one has been sick from it apart from the usual coughs and colds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd second galwaydude on that; off-gassing is a known phenomenon with MDF and some other man made materials (including some plastics and man-made fibres- so think about plastic or man-made floor covering materials etc!). It's pretty hard to avoid entirely in the modern world and in a home with adequate ventilation it shouldn't be a concern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement