Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Monthly Ticket

Options
  • 31-07-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Going to be using the dart for my new job in town.

Its been 15 yrs since I used public transport and in particular monthly / annual tickets.

I am a bit confused about the pricing.

A day return from Sutton to Pearse is 4.70
    A monthly ticket is 112. Given that there are 20-23 working days in a month there is no saving on a monthly which seems a bit silly.

Have I got my figures wrong or is there something else that I have not spotted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Your monthly ticket is valid all 30/31 days though - not just the working ones. It also offers unlimited travel on the entire DART/Suburban rail network.

Also if your employer could offer you the facility to purchase the ticket through the taxsaver scheme, whereby you could save on PAYE and PRSI meaning the effective cost of the ticket is significantly cheaper.

Check out www.taxsaver.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The €112 ticket covers as far as Balbriggan, M3 Parkway, Maynooth, Hazelhatch & Celbridge and Kilcoole

A monthly point to point ticket (valid Sutton-Pearse and all points in between) may make more sense. I'm not sure of the price, but it should be less that €112.

From http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198

Ticket Fare
    Leap Card / Iarnrod Eireann Smart Card €2.10
    Adult Single €2.50
    Adult Day Return €4.70
    Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail €21.10
    Adult 3 Day Rolling Rail €12.50
    Child Single €1.30
    Child Day Return €2.25
    Schoolchild Smart Card Single* €0.60
    Scholar Smart Card Single* €1.27

EDIT: monthly point to point tickets aren't available, only weekly ones. So you need to decides between

Weekly ~52x€21.10=€1,097 (no Taxsaver) or
    Monthly 12x€112 (less tax) = €1,344 (less tax) or
    Annual 1x€1,120 (approximately) (less tax)

Advertisement