Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life - free course

Options
  • 31-07-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I came across this a few days ago and thought I'd share

https://www.coursera.org/course/astrobio

It's a free course run in conjunction with the University of Edinburgh...I signed up for it, but it won't kick off again until Jan 2013.

This will give me plenty of time to get some reading in beforehand.

The suggested book to read to prepare is "Astrobiology: A Brief Introduction by Kevin W. Plaxco and Michael Gross", but any additional reading recommendations on the subject are appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

the professor that's running the course was talking to Sean Moncrief on newstalk earlier..interesting stuff

EDIT:Here's the link starts at the 48 minute mark(after the adds)
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/46/tuesday/3/popup

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Vaxxine

I've signed up for this also, really exceited about it.

I ordered "Astrobiology: A Brief Introduction" from Easons online store and they haven't got it in stock, and they don't know when they will have it. Ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Vaxxine wrote: »
    I've signed up for this also, really exceited about it.

I ordered "Astrobiology: A Brief Introduction" from Easons online store and they haven't got it in stock, and they don't know when they will have it. Ugh!
    needless to say did you try amazon??

Needless to say, yes I did, but I was hoping to have it by Monday. Looks like I may have to get it from Amazon afterall

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah I'll probably just have a look thru that, even though it's not actually necessary to read the recommended material :)
    You should drop in and say hi on the Irish study group forum if ya haven't already :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just signed up to the course today. Looking forward to it!:)

EDIT: Would anyone on here be interested in forming a study group?

Hey JupiterKid,
    In the discussion forums for this course, there is an Irish study group thread. I proposed we make a group on FB, an Irish only one. There are many groups already set up, but I thought with all the differerent time zones, if we had our own where most of us could be online at the same time if we needed to discuss anything, it would be handy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, how time flies! Just finished the course last night. I really enjoyed it - well presented, well paced and well crafted. I really hope that Prof Cockell and his colleagues will put together a follow on course.

I've now signed up to do another Coursera course - this time on Exoplanets.

Advertisement