Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grant for cot and pram

Options
  • 30-07-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all just hoping to get a bit of advice or even some feedback on how things went for anyone in similar situation.

I am soon due my 3rd child and have applied for a grant to help towards cost of cot and pram.
    Clueless to how it all works as both partner and I were working when I was expecting my first so bought a good cot and pram that would last (so we thought) for any others that we might have after first. The pram was in use up until 2011 but literally fell to bits (wheels starting to wear away one would keep coming off, material became worn) and the cot had removable sides so to use it as a bed which was good until november when my youngest tried bouncing on it and broke the slats.
    I have met with the community welfare office when applying and explained and she said they don't normally give it on your third child but given what I'd told her (basically the above) and never getting it before that she would do what she could to help. I got a phone call this evening to say she would be calling tomorrow afternoon for a home check. Im just wondering what does this consist of? Is it simply just to check I do live at this address or will she inspect each room in the house? Has anyone else gotten help form them when its not your first child?
    Sorry if it seems like Im asking a lot of questions or have gone into overdrive on info given just clueless as to how it works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Very unlikely to look through the rooms of your house. They don't usually go through rooms of a property of someone applying for Rent Supplement so will hardly do so for an Exceptional Needs Payment. Will just come in and sit with you and go over your application again. Should just take a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Never heard of them doing that before they have gone strict which is good as it will be going to those who need it.
    i would say just expect anything if she/he wants to look around be prepared.

I totally agree about the stuff being used these things don't last long and its hard if you don't have relatives who have these things.

Hope all goes well and good luck with the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I applied for assistance with buying baby items about a month ago, we had no home visit. I was told I can apply for maternity clothes for myself at 26 weeks (which I did 2 weeks ago) and was awarded €150 for this, she told me to apply again at 37 weeks for assistance with the baby bag for hospital, (around €100) and after the baby is born I had to go back down to the office with newborn and a quote from the local baby shop for a cot and buggy, each not costing more than €130 as thats the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Vincent de paul and indeed many charity shops have excellent baby stuff, including prams and cots, very cheaply.

I have checked out the local charity shops already between the 2 only one had a pram, well a stroller and that would be useless for a new born the ladies in both shops told me they have a waiting list in operation on any baby things prams, cots etc that come in so they get first refusal I've added my name to their lists but with 11 ahead I dont think I could put much hope into getting a call before the baby comes.
    I've also checked donedeal and there is 3 prams available in my area and the prices start at 250 with one charging an extra fee of 50 if I want them to steam clean it. and to be honest the only decent looking cot I've seen on it (by decent I mean will last and not looking like its on its last legs) is out of my price league especially when cost of a new mattress comes into play too.
    Honestly if I could afford these things either second hand or just on my own to buy new I wouldn't even dream of looking for help for sw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Just like Lisa said, they don't normally go room to room. It's just to go over your details and to ensure that you are genuinely in need of a grant.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Vincent de paul and indeed many charity shops have excellent baby stuff, including prams and cots, very cheaply.
    As above, in the event that you don't get help from the sw I say look in the charity shops. The stuff there is often in great nick because babies grow out of stuff so fast. I have seen cots, prams, and buggies in these shops and they look next to perfect. I wish I thought of that before buying new!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zoria wrote: »
    Just like Lisa said, they don't normally go room to room. It's just to go over your details and to ensure that you are genuinely in need of a grant.

As above, in the event that you don't get help from the sw I say look in the charity shops. The stuff there is often in great nick because babies grow out of stuff so fast. I have seen cots, prams, and buggies in these shops and they look next to perfect. I wish I thought of that before buying new!

I bought a pushchair to carry shopping etc from car to house; it was E4. They have dozens for sale.

ok not sure whats happening have posted 2 replies so far neither one showing up??
    Had the visit and each room was checked to make sure I had no pram or cot stashed away. Was asked to open both bathroom press and hotpress to make sure I had none in there. Have tried the 2 charity shops in town and they had nothing in as they have waiting lists for prams and cots and theres quite a few ahead of me on it. only thing i found in one of them was a stroller but its no good at all for a newborn. have also tried donedeal etc in the hope there's something there but that was a dead end as what was available in my area was out of my price league both for a pram and cot.
    Been told to try and pay something off each week and when I have the baby I have to contact them and they will pay it to the shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

ok not sure whats happening have posted 2 replies so far neither one showing up??

As you are posting as a guest all your replies have to be approved by a mod before they can be seen,real life kept me offline until this evening.the other mods have lives as well.

If you register a account your posts will be seen straight away.

mp22

sorry Mp22 if my comment came across wrong I really wasn't sure if I had messed up or not (pregnant brain getting the better of me) was not meant in anyway as a dig. Totally understand that mods have lives outside of boards so sincere apologies if it came across as bitchy remark that was not my intention.
    Visits over and done with now so I'd be grateful if you could close the thread.
    thanks again for all the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Had the visit and each room was checked to make sure I had no pram or cot stashed away. Was asked to open both bathroom press and hotpress to make sure I had none in there. Have tried the 2 charity shops in town and they had nothing in as they have waiting lists for prams and cots and theres quite a few ahead of me on it. only thing i found in one of them was a stroller but its no good at all for a newborn. have also tried donedeal etc in the hope there's something there but that was a dead end as what was available in my area was out of my price league both for a pram and cot.
    Been told to try and pay something off each week and when I have the baby I have to contact them and they will pay it to the shop.
    Omg! that never happened with me :eek: The only time I ever had a house visit was when I initially went on a LP payment. Maybe they did that because you have other children. Jesus, how invasive. Best of luck with the new baby :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

sorry Mp22 if my comment came across wrong I really wasn't sure if I had messed up or not (pregnant brain getting the better of me) was not meant in anyway as a dig. Totally understand that mods have lives outside of boards so sincere apologies if it came across as bitchy remark that was not my intention.
    Visits over and done with now so I'd be grateful if you could close the thread.
    thanks again for all the replies.

No problem.Thread closed

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_prams/

I was asked to include this link

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement