Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bandwagon of the season

Options
  • 30-07-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭

Just for fun, who do you people think will be the first big bandwagon player of the season. Last year a lot of the bandwagon players came good but most years there are a lot of instances where players seem to crash and burn when everyone gets them in.

I'm going to go for Ian Harte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭pah

podolski

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

The biggest bandwagons so far by a country mile are Hazard and Kagawa from what I've seen. Whether they come good is up for debate, especially considering the teams they're in.

As for bad bandwagons that are gonna fail, my money is on Yaya Toure, who has been picked by 19% of people so far.

I also think Vorm is likely to disappoint many this season at 5.5m with 17.6% of people having him. Can't see Swansea producing the goods again this season at the back.

I don't think Harte can be considered a bandwagon since he only has about 3%, but I agree he's likely to disappoint anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I mean after the season starts, there's no real bandwagons at the start, just mere speculation with only last season's form to go on. I'm starting with Harte but can see a lot of people bringing him in after he scores a penalty or a free kick in the first couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

No-one can be considered a bandwagon yet really. Hazard and Kagawa aren't a bandwagon for example, people are just picking them because they're shiny and new! Week 2 and 3 will see the first bandwagons onto whoever scores well in week 1. If Torres scores I can see him being the first major one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Modibo Maiga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Torres. He'll grab a couple of goals in the DGW, casual players will see his high score and jump on board just in time for a barren spell lasting until Hallowe'en.

Liverpool fans tend to have a huge impact on bandwagons. If Andy Carroll scores on the opening day for West Ham against Villa, he could fly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I reckon Tevez.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Torres or Carroll for me. I really hope Podolski isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I reckon Tevez.

yup.

he's only owned by something like 3% of managers i think. if he scores week 1 and aguero doesn't he will jump in price a lot. (whatever the max is, .2m a week?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Liam O wrote: »
    I mean after the season starts, there's no real bandwagons at the start, just mere speculation with only last season's form to go on. I'm starting with Harte but can see a lot of people bringing him in after he scores a penalty or a free kick in the first couple of weeks.

You're basically talking about Gary Cahill last year. Was it a goal and bonus points or a goal and clean sheet he got in the first week last year? Next thing everyone had him in, despite the fact he played for Bolton.

The year before it was Marlon Harewood at Blackpool when they stuffed Wigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcunning

Fabio Borini, for precisely the reason carlcon states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Darren Bent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Given Bents record and Villa's fixtures, I think Bent is a great option from the start. Once he stays injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I think Bent did very poorly last season and it would have been laughable to have him in your team last season so I'm not on the Bent bandwagon right now. He might surprise me and do well, I'm not sure.

As for early bandwagons last year it was Cahill and Jarvis. I remember well because everyone got Cahill after his early season goal and Jarvis had a string of 2 or 3 games where he got a few goals and assists. After about GW 3 or 4 everyone began to drop them. I actually think a goalkeeper might be a big bandwagon. A penalty save in the first week or two and a clean sheet from a cheap keeper that normally would score very few points. I think Ian Harte is definitely the most likely candidate for a bandwagon but that's if he starts. The think about Harte though is... it won't be a one off Goal/assist and then everyone drops him. If Harte starts most games this season he will have plenty of attacking returns.

My candidates (complete random guesswork going on):

Cerny
    Harte
    Valencia
    Noble
    Maloney
    Suarez (Inevitable if he scores in one of the opening games)
    Vaz Te

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kagawa

From what i've seen of the lad he doesnt look any great shakes tbh. Takes players a while to get used to the PL too, especially coming from the poorer league's.

Possibly only there as marketing ploy anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Slattsy wrote: »
    Kagawa

From what i've seen of the lad he doesnt look any great shakes tbh. Takes players a while to get used to the PL too, especially coming from the poorer league's.

Idiotic post tbh. In case you are not trolling I'll humour you. He was in the top 3 players in the Bundesliga last season and destroyed Bayern Munich in the German cup final. But sure he's "no great shakes" coming from someone who I'd bet has never seen him play.

Liam O wrote: »
    Idiotic post tbh. In case you are not trolling I'll humour you. He was in the top 3 players in the Bundesliga last season and destroyed Bayern Munich in the German cup final. But sure he's "no great shakes" coming from someone who I'd bet has never seen him play.

If you're going to quote me at least have the decency to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Kagawa

Considering Ade is a mod of this forum and has a little obsession with Kagawa/Dortmund, I wont be surprised if this post is deleted:pac: All Im gonna say is Kagawa will perhaps be the signing of the season and United are very lucky to have him:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Kagawa

The bundasliga is by no means a poor league ! Some exceptional talent playin their aswell as tbh IMO being stronger than la liga (exception of barca) and seria A.

• Advertisement

And the laughs begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Considering Ade is a mod of this forum and has a little obsession with Kagawa/Dortmund, I wont be surprised if this post is deleted:pac: All Im gonna say is Kagawa will perhaps be the signing of the season and United are very lucky to have him:(

Perhaps he will be. I'm going to hold back though. United's midfield is a minefield and they have Everton first game of the season, not an easy match.

Kagawa

What a player he turned out to be :D

Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Clowns.

Says the fella who called the Bundesliga a poorer league:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Clowns.

What's your point ? A bad footballer or a bad fantasy football pick ?

Says the fella who called the Bundesliga a poorer league:o

And that had exactly what relevance to Fantasy Football?

I just thought it was funny at the time .
    Calm down girls :-)
    It's only a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kagawa was fine for a couple of weeks at the start.

i remember captaining him and getting a goal from him.

after the first 3 weeks though, yes, a broken docket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Angel rangel ended up being a bandwagon at the start of the season as swansea made a decent start and he scored a goal, cant imagine too many people held onto him to benefit from his goal against wigan the other night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

SlickRic wrote: »
    Kagawa was fine for a couple of weeks at the start.

i remember captaining him and getting a goal from him.

after the first 3 weeks though, yes, a broken docket.

Yeah he's a great player but the rules in FF are different to real life,plus he didn't get enough games,could be one to watch for next season's bandwagon.

There's rumours of a Portugese fella joining United who's supposed to be decent,one for the watchlist so.

My best bandwagon player this season was Michu,got him in early and kept him until his injury last week,bargain of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Not totally relevant I know but I found it interesting that Kagawa has a higher points per minute ratio than Michu.

This thread is an interesting read, there are very few mentioned who have been a success.

Advertisement