Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Looking for buddies! Anyone heading to/in Saskatchewan or Alberta?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi folks,

Have been lucky enough to obtain an IEC visa and will be heading to Canada next week on my own, the plan is either Edmonton or Calgary in AB but will be travelling through SK too am keeping the options open for the time being. Just wondering whether anyone is heading on their own too and would they be interested in swapping details and meeting up over there at some stage? It would be nice to have a few folks to have a beer or 2 with :)

Or if there is anyone currently over there, would you be interested in meeting up and how are you finding it? I know everyone probably asks this but how is the actual job situation over there? It's hard to tell going on internet research some folks say there is loads of work but others not so much. Also noticed quite frequently on some job websites that they explicitly state that non Canadian residents should not apply, feeling a bit discriminated against to be honest :D and it's making me panic a bit too thinking because I only have a temp visa no one is even going to bother looking at my CV let alone hire me!! I work in the financial services industry (hangs head in shame :rolleyes:) by the way.

Any advice on tips about living there such as areas or organising a place to live initially or better still anyone looking for a roomie?? Am a dab hand at whipping up an 'ol ham sandwich and make one helluva cuppa :p Seriously though any info or advice at all for a single gal heading over there would be much appreciated!! Again anyone interested in swapping details and meeting up over there just drop me a line. Apologies for the long post!

Loulou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey,

what part of SK are you travelling through? I have moved to North Battleford about 2 months ago. So far, so good but dont really know anyone but my work colleagues.

My main tips are the voltage is different so dont bother bringing hair dryer/straightner/etc as they wont work properly. If you are looking to drive over here you need a letter from the motor tax office stating your licence history (there is a form) but the main thing is that it has to be dated within a month of applying for your licence. I cant think of anything else off hand, it was fairly easy to set up. Main problem is getting furniture for apartment.

If you want to meet up send me a PM.

Ms. Ka

Advertisement