Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petabytes at the LRC

Options
  • 30-07-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

I work in computers and often deal with databases with large data sets (terabytes of data).

When researching large data stores the LRC is always mentioned as one of the largest data centres in the world, storing 13 petabytes of data a year (1 petabype = 1000 terabytes)

Just curious anyone know what they are storing that takes up that much space?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Zombrex wrote: »
    I work in computers and often deal with databases with large data sets (terabytes of data).

When researching large data stores the LRC is always mentioned as one of the largest data centres in the world, storing 13 petabytes of data a year (1 petabype = 1000 terabytes)

Collision data, in an experiment with around 600 million collisions per second.

http://www.lhc-closer.es/php/index.php?i=1&s=3&p=12&e=0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Zombrex wrote: »

It's big...but not humongously big. They have lots of money and lots of room. So, it's thousands of terabyte hardisks in a big room. Or are they using hard disks - it might be solid state bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Petabytes of data at Large Hadron Collider - Sixty Symbols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

krd wrote: »
    It's big...but not humongously big.

That's not a data set, this is a data set :P

tumblr_kwyv8zI1Me1qzxvmyo1_500.png

Advertisement