Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people not get depressed from heavy drinking?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

İf i drink for a weekend or a few days in a row,its not uncommon to feel down and depressed in my myself.

Does alcohol affect everyone in this way or are some people more prone to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I understand alcohol is a known depressant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Unfortunately, one of the biggest causes of people drinking to much alcohol is as a way of coping with depression. The unfortunate thing is, that as a solution it’s probably the worst there is, because alcohol itself causes further depression.It directly reduces the levels of Serotonin In the brain – this is the neurotransmitter that anti-depressant drugs like Prozac (an SSRI) increase your levels of.Only when you cut down your drinking will you be able to feel any happier. But once you've cut down, how do you stop the cycle beginning again? ,Its time to find out why your really feeling depressed and to deal with it in a more serious way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cushtie

commonly known as "The Fear". One of the main reasons I stopped drinking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Cushtie wrote: »
    commonly known as "The Fear". One of the main reasons I stopped drinking :(

Is 'The Fear' not the feeling of not remembering what you did when you drank and fearing the worst?

Whereas the feeling of just being down, but being able to remember everything, I always just call it the Booze Blues. Its always happened me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

cantdecide wrote: »
    I understand alcohol is a known depressant.

Alcohol is known as a depressant as it is a CNS-depressant, that is it depresses the functions of the central nervous system, slows downs breathing, lowers blood pressure etc.

Alcohol can however also cause depression in the mental illness sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Drinkisacurse

When I was 18 or so looking back was always bit shy or anxious, I think I used to drink to help me relax a bit or whatever! Wouldn't class myself as an alcoholic but when ever I did drink I couldn't stop. Done a year off it up until last week where I went on a session for 2 days solid. Now I know why I gave it up in the first place it's absolute poison, once it starts affecting your every day to day stuff it's time to knock it on the head. Anxiety levels are gone tnrough the roof, can't even make a conversation with anyone or look someone in the eye it's madness. For people with any kind of anxiety I think it's a no no. Doesn't suit us and definitely not good for mentel health!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

When I was 18 or so looking back was always bit shy or anxious, I think I used to drink to help me relax a bit or whatever! Wouldn't class myself as an alcoholic but when ever I did drink I couldn't stop. Done a year off it up until last week where I went on a session for 2 days solid. Now I know why I gave it up in the first place it's absolute poison, once it starts affecting your every day to day stuff it's time to knock it on the head. Anxiety levels are gone tnrough the roof, can't even make a conversation with anyone or look someone in the eye it's madness. For people with any kind of anxiety I think it's a no no. Doesn't suit us and definitely not good for mentel health!

I totally agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Yeah that was the same with me, I'd get very anxious and have 'the fear' as they call it for days after my drinking binges, constantly thinking something bad was going to happen and I'd be very paranoid and depressed for days. It got to a point where you have to stop and reflect and say to herself, surely there is more to life than hiding away in your room with the shakes and sweats and too shamed to interact with anyone when sober.

Then when you begin to regain your dignity and fell a bit better it's FRIDAY and you do it all again, vicious rollercoaster that I'm so glad to be off.

I shall not be buying a ticket for that ride again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Drinkisacurse

Yeah that was the same with me, I'd get very anxious and have 'the fear' as they call it for days after my drinking binges, constantly thinking something bad was going to happen and I'd be very paranoid and depressed for days. It got to a point where you have to stop and reflect and say to herself, surely there is more to life than hiding away in your room with the shakes and sweats and too shamed to interact with anyone when sober.

Then when you begin to regain your dignity and fell a bit better it's FRIDAY and you do it all again, vicious rollercoaster that I'm so glad to be off.

I'll second that, can honestly say that life is a lot better without. Might be be boring but at least I can cope without these dark thoughts that I only get from the booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Can totally understand with what you said

• Advertisement
Advertisement