Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Car Radio Coverage? Satellite radio?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

As the title says.
    In short my dad loves RTE1 (who knows why) but when he drives between Dublin and Wexford there are many dead spots along the N11.

The current car radio is a very good Sony one with all the mod cons of Bluetooth etc. Its even able to auto tune if a radio station changes fHz slightly. However, it still goes fuzzy to the point of having to switch to Long-wave-252. This as you know is not in stereo nor is is crystal clear either.

His birthday is coming up and I've been looking for a solution. Is a DAB radio the answer?

After researching this, I'm still in the dark, last post on here regarding DAB was 1.5 years ago and coverage maps I've found are from 2010-early 2011.

Obviously I would have to purchase a DAB radio that will also have a fm tuner etc.

The other curiosity; Satellite Radio, is RTE on this? do you need any extra special hardware (aerial/dish) or is it the same as installing a new car radio? DO you need to subscribe etc. or is it free? I'm completely in the dark regarding satellite radio.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    Ros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

There isn't any dead spots along the N11 for any of the RTE stations on FM. I drive this route regularly.

I'd ask 2 questions - is the 'AF' function and 'RDS' switched on, otherwise the radio will not select the signal from the strongest transmitter.

More likely I'd suspect some issue with the aerial setup in his car - whether it's an amplified antenna that's no longer getting power, a cable issue or just a terrible antenna, it's most likely to be related to this.

DAB radio does not provide superior coverage to FM - the furthest South East the RTE mux gets before starting to glitch with a very good DAB antenna is about Arklow/Gorey. Thereafter no more RTE coverage, only the South East trial multiplex which does not carry any RTE stations with the exception of 2XM.

Satellite radio is not available in Ireland and I wouldn't expect any viable option for many years, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As the title says.
    In short my dad loves RTE1 (who knows why) but when he drives between Dublin and Wexford there are many dead spots along the N11.

Before the new N11 was completed, there used to be a few spots where you went around 'S' bends with hills on either side and the RTE signal went a bit fuzzy but nowadays coverage is not a problem and with RDS and AF switched on, the radio will always find a good signal. He shouldn't be having the problems you're describing unless he's tuned to Kippure (89.1) and doesn't have AF switched on, that would produce the effects you're describing since the coverage map shows Kippure providing patchy coverage between Arklow and Wexford but in that part of the country you should be tuned to Mt. Leinster (89.6).

DAB is definitely not the answer for a car, check the radio settings and make sure AF is on. Somewhere north of Arklow the radio should automatically switch from Kippure (89.1) to Mt. Leinster (89.6) and hold that signal all the way to Wexford so even using AF there wouldn't be much frequency switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ros The Boss

cheers for the replies,

I thought as much about DAB, so instead i bought him an electronic amplified aerial - €20 Halfords. Proved to be a better signal, sharper sound but strangely only FM works; no LW etc. That being said once down towards Wexford the problems persisted and were worse than the standard aerial when in certain locations.

It must be a tuner issue. But as you both said DAB is not the answer. I'll double check the RDS and AF settings (i believe they are on) and see about kippure.

thanks again,
    Ros

Advertisement