Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits after career break

Options
  • 30-07-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Have been on the 3 year incentivised career break, 3 years now up and I just want to make sure, am I entitled to jobseekers allowance/benefit while Im waiting to be placed?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Do you have a p45?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

**Vai** wrote: »
    Have been on the 3 year incentivised career break, 3 years now up and I just want to make sure, am I entitled to jobseekers allowance/benefit while Im waiting to be placed?

Entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance is depemddemt among other things on the applicant being available for work and actively seeking work. I am not too sure how your local Social Welfare office would deal with you. Are you available for work other then just the one job, if that doesn't happen soon then they may expect you to apply for other jobs.

Your best option would be to call in to the local office and outline your position. They will let you know what your situation is. I would ask them to put anything in writing though so that you can appeal against it if the answer is negative or you can hold them to it if they say you can apply. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

mp22 wrote: »
    Do you have a p45?

No. I do have a letter outlining the start and ending times of the career break though.

amtw wrote: »
    Entitlement to Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance is depemddemt among other things on the applicant being available for work and actively seeking work. I am not too sure how your local Social Welfare office would deal with you. Are you available for work other then just the one job, if that doesn't happen soon then they may expect you to apply for other jobs.

Your best option would be to call in to the local office and outline your position. They will let you know what your situation is. I would ask them to put anything in writing though so that you can appeal against it if the answer is negative or you can hold them to it if they say you can apply. Good luck.

The career break is over today so no, I havent been looking for other jobs as that would be a breach of the contract. I think you have to sign on before they expect you to look for work so one step at a time. Will be going to the office tomorrow as that is my 1st day "unemployed" after the career break.

Just for anyone else in the same situation, you are entitled to jobseekers allowance until you are placed back in the civil service. You do not need your P45.

• Advertisement
Advertisement