Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send a Bicycle to Australia

Options
  • 30-07-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Does anyone know what is the cheapest and best way to get a bicycle from Ireland to Australia? How long will it take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Emirate airlines offer a 30kg weight limit if you are flying over. I recently brought a bike back from Australia, included as part of my 30kg weight limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

emclau wrote: »
    Emirate airlines offer a 30kg weight limit if you are flying over. I recently brought a bike back from Australia, included as part of my 30kg weight limit.

Took me a second to realize that your username is your real name. Hope you had a good trip back sir!

I flew with Etihad and brought a bike as part of my luggage allowance. But you are penalized heavily for going over the 28Kg allowance, so you need to make sure that:
    • You have enough in your allowance to take the bike over
    • You have enough in your allowance to take your bike home
    • If you don't, will the combined cost of bringing a bike over and back be less than buying and selling a bike during your stay in Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 awful

Hi, not sure if this helps, but I think the best way would becycle to Rosslare then ferry to France. Beautiful cross Europe ride through Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgariato Turkey. Then onwards to Iran, Pakistan,India and Bangladesh. Then, eitherMyanmar or China and down through Laos, Thailand & Malaysia. Then a seriesof ferries to Darwin and assuming you are going towards to South east coast, thencross country to Brisbane and then down the coast to Sydney.

This may not be the cheapest, or quickest but certainlysounds like the most fun.

Advertisement