Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card misuse?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Can your laser card details be used for payments without your authorisation for different amounts than you had indicated. This has happened me twice and i'm wondering if I am wrong in thinking that this shouldn't happen?

1. I recently got a speeding fine of €80, i sent the letter three days before it was due. Going from Dublin to Sligo is usually next day delivery if not two then so should have arrived on time (a different arguement). I checked my account and they had taken €120 due to a late fee, I had only authorised on the form to take €80

2. I paid Setanta Sports for my Father, as he was waiting for a cheque to clear, with my laser card over the phone as a one off payment which I told the operator. They then proceeded to deduct the payment from my laser card over the next three months unil my Dad rang up and cancelled his subscription, I never authorised them to deduct anything more from my account than €20

(I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread please move if appropriate)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

For no 1 - did you send it registered so you can see when it arrived? (I really wouldn't send card details in the normal post but that's another issue). You really only have their word that they received it after the due date.

In relation to no 2, they shouldn't have kept your details on record once you made it clear to them that it was a one off payment. Contact your bank and say the subsequent withdrawals were unauthorised and they will issue them with a letter instructing it was no authorised and seek a refund. Had your Dad arranged a different method of payment for after you paid (if applicable)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Misticles wrote: »
    For no 1 - did you send it registered so you can see when it arrived? (I really wouldn't send card details in the normal post but that's another issue). You really only have their word that they received it after the due date.

In relation to no 2, they shouldn't have kept your details on record once you made it clear to them that it was a one off payment. Contact your bank and say the subsequent withdrawals were unauthorised and they will issue them with a letter instructing it was no authorised and seek a refund. Had your Dad arranged a different method of payment for after you paid (if applicable)?

No.1 I can only take their word for it (different arguement) but I would have thought that given them written authorisation to take €80 would only allow them to take just that.

I would have thought they would have had to send me out another letter saying it was late and can they have permission to take €120? I know its only €40 but for some people in these tough times it could be the difference between food on the table or going hungry (not in that situtation btw).

It pissed me off to think the could just dive into my pockets. I'm wondering if a fine was to arise again for anything, they would just help themselves without due proccess, i'm really regretting giving them my details now.

No.2 I made it quite clear that it was a one off payment and to continue with the direct debt. I paid them an extra €60 that should have been from my Dads account. He has paid me back but once again I dont think its the point and it really annoyed me that somebody just helped themselves without notifing me

Thanks for your reply btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

davet82 wrote: »
    No.1 I can only take their word for it (different arguement) but I would have thought that given them written authorisation to take €80 would only allow them to take just that.

I would have thought they would have had to send me out another letter saying it was late and can they have permission to take €120? I know its only €40 but for some people in these tough times it could be the difference between food on the table or going hungry (not in that situtation btw).

It pissed me off to think the could just dive into my pockets. I'm wondering if a fine was to arise again for anything, they would just help themselves without due proccess, i'm really regretting giving them my details now.

No.2 I made it quite clear that it was a one off payment and to continue with the direct debt. I paid them an extra €60 that should have been from my Dads account. He has paid me back but once again I dont think its the point and it really annoyed me that somebody just helped themselves without notifing me

Thanks for your reply btw :)

No 1 - I'm not too sure if they are legally allowed because on those forms you usually sign saying that your authorise the above amount to be debited from your card. I would ask your bank on this and see what they say. If they say they should not have done this without contacting you first the I would ring and have it out with them, might teach them a lesson as they could be doing this to others... others not so keen on checking their statements to notice.

No 2 - the data commission people would like to hear about this as they kept your details on file which they are not allowed to do. I would write a letter to them advising that your card details were held without your permission... there are case studies online about companies that have done this.
    Did they try to take the money by DD and perhaps it bounced or something? If so, then there is also a case about this... however as the contract would be with your dad they still would not be authorised to take such a payment from a card that belongs to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Misticles wrote: »
    No 1 - I'm not too sure if they are legally allowed because on those forms you usually sign saying that your authorise the above amount to be debited from your card. I would ask your bank on this and see what they say. If they say they should not have done this without contacting you first the I would ring and have it out with them, might teach them a lesson as they could be doing this to others... others not so keen on checking their statements to notice.

No 2 - the data commission people would like to hear about this as they kept your details on file which they are not allowed to do. I would write a letter to them advising that your card details were held without your permission... there are case studies online about companies that have done this.
    Did they try to take the money by DD and perhaps it bounced or something? If so, then there is also a case about this... however as the contract would be with your dad they still would not be authorised to take such a payment from a card that belongs to you.

Thats what I thought, angry call and letter on my list of things to do today! Thank you again for your post :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement