Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Red to Blonde?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I'm thinking of going blonde. My hair is a little longer than shoulder length and has been (home) dyed red for the past two years... I asked friends about it and they say if I dye it, chances are it'll go orange?!

If I were to get the colour stripped and then dyed blonde, would this still be an issue?? I've also heard I'll have to cut my hair up short because the dye can destroy the ends... Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

rubysgirl wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going blonde. My hair is a little longer than shoulder length and has been (home) dyed red for the past two years... I asked friends about it and they say if I dye it, chances are it'll go orange?!

If I were to get the colour stripped and then dyed blonde, would this still be an issue?? I've also heard I'll have to cut my hair up short because the dye can destroy the ends... Is this true?
    ColourB4 it yourself (the home stripper stuff) and you'll end up a bit ginger, but give it a day and due blonde over. Worked for me anyways, I'm never paying for it to be professionally stripped considering you can do it yourself with good results. I used extra strength, because had postbox red..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Op if you do go with the colour b4 then get yourself a good conditioner,it can be quite drying. It's great for stripping the hair though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

color b4 isn't made to strip out red dye, because red dye works differently. it might be worth trying anyway but I'd make sure you don't have to be anywhere the next day

to be honest its s vary tricky thing to get right it could cost you quite a lot to get fixed

color b4 isn't made to strip out red dye, because red dye works differently. it might be worth trying anyway but I'd make sure you don't have to be anywhere the next day

to be honest its s vary tricky thing to get right it could cost you quite a lot to get fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rubysgirl

Thanks everyone! Ya I saw the colour b4 stuff, but being honest if I turn out any other colour than my original hair colour I'll probably have a s**t attack! Should probably be around a professional or someone that's done it before so they can reassure me! :p

Would you recommend I go to a professional then or just wait for it to grow out??

• Advertisement

I don't know what I'd do, I'd prob use colour before and then a light ash blonde semi to neutralise the red, and then get high lights put in by a professional a week later or whatever. I dye my hair red and its always faded a month or two after, could you wait till the reds faded and then talk to your hairdresser??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rubysgirl

I suppose that's an idea alright! It looks fairly ick after the month or two though! There's no rush on the blonde anyway! Think I'll take your advice on this :) Thanks

a consultation is free so no harm in asking a hairdresser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I don't know what I'd do, I'd prob use colour before and then a light ash blonde semi to neutralise the red, and then get high lights put in by a professional a week later or whatever. I dye my hair red and its always faded a month or two after, could you wait till the reds faded and then talk to your hairdresser??

Thats exactly what the Colour b4 people recommend. It prob depends on your hair, of course, but it worked well on me with tonnes of red and then darker red build up.

Advertisement