Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain lion & damaged disk

Options
  • 30-07-2012 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭

Took the plunge & bought mountain lion last night. Downloaded it overnight & went to install it this morning (over install).

It reported that it couldn't install because my boot disk is damaged (although I've had no issues with it before).

I use disk utility & verified the disk & it reported ok, (quick meant I couldn't run repair disk).

Any ideas on options for me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

This works in the USA. I don't know whether it's available here:-

1) Go to Apple.com
    2) Click on Support
    3) Click on "Contact Apple Support,"
    4) Click "Express Lane for Mac & Software" (or another Apple product)

You can then either schedule a call back for later or connect immediately. Presto! Connection to live human tech support person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

OU812 wrote: »
    Took the plunge & bought mountain lion last night. Downloaded it overnight & went to install it this morning (over install).

It reported that it couldn't install because my boot disk is damaged (although I've had no issues with it before).

I use disk utility & verified the disk & it reported ok, (quick meant I couldn't run repair disk).

Any ideas on options for me?

The same thing happened me when I went to install Lion when it came out last year. Ended up having to get a new hard drive. Disk utility doesn't catch everything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Didn't really want to hear that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

mine did the same thing,but went back to Lion when it rebooted. I opened disk utility and went to "macintosh HD" and clicked "repair permissions"

After that i clicked "verify disk" and that came out grand,so i retried the update,and it worked. I now have mountain lion now. Now virtualbox won't work though

Mine appears to be totally borked. Luckily enough I have time machine working, but I had to install to my second (storage) partition to be able to rescue a few things.

Now have to delete original partition, re-create, then install on that & move everything back.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

JBokeh wrote: »
    Now virtualbox won't work though

Mine wouldn't work either, but it was fine after I updated to the latest version.

Installed to the storage partition, dropped the osx partition, rebuilt it, wrote zeros to it overnight (military grade - ten hours for 300gb).

Installed mountain Lin to the osx partition, deleted system files from storage one.

All working swimmingly & a little faster now :)

Advertisement