Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a lower price limit on beer in a pub, buy 2 get one free not allowed?

Options
  • 30-07-2012 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

I know happy hour was banned at one stage and understand that but i always wondered when you see pubs that are quiet on a particular night why they dont offer some incentive like buy 2 pints and get one free or why they dont have reduced prices for regulars type of thing.

I presume it must be illegal to do that since ive never seen it in any pub. Ive seen buy a meal and get a free drink alright. Is it just because the profit is too low or an agreement among publicans?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Few pubs here in Waterford do 3 pints for 10 quid.
    There another pub in town that isn't a member of the vitners club or whatever you call it and the drink is alot cheaper than other places.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

If the pubs want to survive they'd better start attempting to match the supermarkets.

A bottle of bud or carlsberg cost about 80c in the SM and pubs are charging over €4 for the exact same drink.
    If they started selling them for 2-2.50 they're still making a nice profit and dare I say they'll be more punters in their establishments
    The mind absolutely boggles some of the prices.

jayteecork wrote: »
    If the pubs want to survive they'd better start attempting to match the supermarkets.

A bottle of bud or carlsberg cost about 80c in the SM and pubs are charging over €4 for the exact same drink.
    If they started selling them for 2-2.50 they're still making a nice profit and dare I say they'll be more punters in their establishments
    The mind absolutely boggles some of the prices.

Saiid same to boss when I worked in a pub and he said there is water charges blaa blaa blaa etc and that's why he charges extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

3 longnecks for a fiver in a few pubs in Dublin suburbs during the football matches

They don't run it all the time, just during certain events

Decent value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Yeah that's why i thought it was illegal, when you see a pub struggling you would think that some sort of customer incentive to get them in the door would be a no brainer and since everyone loves to give out about the price of a pint it would be easy to get a bit of word of mouth going.

I cant believe that nobody every thought of a members price for regulars of offering vouchers for 3 drinks for 2 on a night thats usually quiet, so i can only assume there is some sort of legal issue with it. So thats my main question is there a restriction in the law or with vinters association thats stops pubs offering reduced prices or is it just something some people just wont do, sounds like from some of the comments there is pubs offering it, i wonder are those cheap brands type offers or is it on regular drinks?

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    3 longnecks for a fiver in a few pubs in Dublin suburbs during the football matches

They don't run it all the time, just during certain events

Decent value
    wow that's very good. Twin lives in dublin and he mentioned paying 6.10 for a pint of Carlsberg. That's madness. Down here in Waterford it wouldn't cost anywhere near that .

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Best beer deal I ever saw was the 'bladder buster' nights,all tap beer free,until the 1st person goes to the jax.

Believe me,you didn't want to be that poor sod!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My local, Abbot's Ale House, Cork does 2 pint (they call them litres but there is easily 2 pints when filled) masses (most people call them steins) of lager (Grolsch at the moment) for €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

My local, Abbot's Ale House, Cork does 2 pint (they call them litres but there is easily 2 pints when filled) masses (most people call them steins) of lager (Grolsch at the moment) for €6.
    Sounds good, I've only ever been in the off-licence bit of Abbot's. Must give that a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dvdfan wrote: »
    I know happy hour was banned
    The "happy hour" law states that they cannot decrease the price of a particular drink over the course of a day. It is nothing to do with "hours" and they can freely increase a price. This is why you see "happy days" now, where pints are cheaper on mondays or tuesdays. Or they have 3 for 10 offers.

The are obliged to show just a few prices on the door price list, e.g. only 1 lager needs to be listed. They would have to adjust this list if changing prices of listed drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rangi wrote: »
    Best beer deal I ever saw was the 'bladder buster' nights,all tap beer free,until the 1st person goes to the jax.

The bar really shouldn't be doing that, it is medically dangerous, you can die from a burst bladder.

Famously, Tycho Brahe died 24 October 1601 from a ruptured bladder. According to accounts, he died at the table of Rudolph II, court etiquette forbidding guests from leaving before their majesty.

Can you die?
    http://www.impactednurse.com/?p=1757

Might be worth mentioning it to them, would be some insurance payout if they killed someone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

MadsL wrote: »
    Rangi wrote: »

The bar really shouldn't be doing that, it is medically dangerous, you can die from a burst bladder.

Famously, Tycho Brahe died 24 October 1601 from a ruptured bladder. According to accounts, he died at the table of Rudolph II, court etiquette forbidding guests from leaving before their majesty.

Can you die?
    http://www.impactednurse.com/?p=1757

Might be worth mentioning it to them, would be some insurance payout if they killed someone.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/9756508/clubs-told-to-halt-bladder-busters/

Advertisement