Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Idea

Options
  • 30-07-2012 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know ye will probably all be like *sigh* but basically its my boyfriends birthday coming up and he's mad into comics. as to ask me exactly what ones, i am not sure..he is mainly into Manga but I think he said that Green Lantern was one of favourite super heroes (not Ryan Renyolds :) ) He likes Avengers and Xmen etc

so...I am just trying to think of something cool to get him..like (probably not in my price range) but a 1st edition or if someone knew a really great one to get or something like that

I am in Australia at the moment and was checking out this comic shop...http://www.kingscomics.com so if anyone knew anything on there that seems good or any ideas it would be brilliant!!

Thanks a million
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It is a bit hard to know what to get even with knowing his favourite characters as all series go through ups and downs. A good idea would be to try and find out who is his favourite artist/writer and try get a signed copy of one of their most well known books. My girlfriend did that for me a few years ago and I was delighted with it. Just try and make sure it is from a reputable source and has a cert and stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Original copies of notable issues tend to be very expensive, because the majority of them are 30+ years old and relatively rare. Even if you were to look for things that weren't in particularly good condition you could end up spending quite a bit of money on them.

Turtyturd's suggestion is a good one - if you can find out who his favourite writers or artists are, you might be able to get something signed for him. If possible, getting something signed and dedicated is that bit nicer as a present, but obviously that depends on circumstances. If you really want to push the boat out, you could also see if you can get a special commission from one of his favourite artists (though they can be very expensive depending on the artist).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

mini bump...

have managed to get some details of him and his favourite Manga is "One Piece" and favourite DC comic is "Green Latern Corps"...if anyone knows any more on them or what is a good volume to get it would be appreciated.

I am in sydney so was looking at this comic book store so if anyone knew maybe from the website... http://www.kingscomics.com

thanks a million

Advertisement