Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bike for a 3 year old

Options
  • 29-07-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, we are in South Dublin and need one soon. It's for my son and is his first and he has no interest in balance bikes.

Was in Halfords and they were real heavy. Did find one but had no mudguards and when i asked i was told you can't get them which i thought was odd. I need to try elsewhere!

Any sugestions on bikes or shops, please.

Thanks MAJJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Honestly, buy a balance bike, or a good quality regular bike and remove the pedals etc, but a proper balance bike is better, a Likeabike Jumper is the best, probably the most expensive but you'll sell it for decent money secondhand and he'll have miles more fun on it that a bike with stabilisers. I've had 2 (for my kids!) and most of my friends were persuaded to buy them, everyone was happy, especially the children. Any 3 year old can be easily persuaded into a preference for anything given the right approach ;)

Avoid Halfords, run a mile from Smyths, and treat advice from most bike shops with a huge grain of salt as they'll naturally advise that the most appropriate bike is what they have in stock. As there's very little profit for them on kids bikes they won't stock much. Best place for a decent kids bike is Islabikes in the UK, they ship to Ireland. Their Rothan is a decent balance bike but the Likeabike is better, its lighter and has an element of rear suspension that can be adjusted depending on the child's weight. If you must buy one with pedals then their Cnoc 14 is very hard to beat, but don't get the stabilisers or you'll be stuck with them for a long time.

But you should really really buy a balance bike, really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Quenching, thanks for all that. Lot's to mull over.

Desparing with Halfords/Smthys and hence was turning to cycle shops. Loved that bit about changing little ones preferences, tell me your secret:) Our mates have an islabike balance bike, so we are going to go for a trial run to see if that will help.

We have a trike and a micro scooter and he is not too interested in self propulsion, so the interest we do have we are going to capitalise on.

I get your point, buy a pedal bike in Halfords :) Right?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Hi All,

Any recommendations for an Irish supplier of a starter pedal bike for a 3 year old.

Would like something lighter than the tanks Smyths sell and unfortunately Islabikes is no longer delivering to Ireland (plus theyre out of stock).

Any recommendation welcome

Thanks
    Shay

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Definitely go for a balance bike. My kids learned to pedal cycle in 15 mins after using a balance bike for a year or so. Their cousins were stumbling around falling of bikes with stabilisers for months.

Just make your 3 old sure they have a choice. e.g. Do you want the green one or the orange one?

I did a lot of research at the time and bought cruzees https://www.cruzee.com/
    Really lightweight so when your little one decides they can't ride it any more you can carry both them and the bike home.
    Still used to fly around the house outside and kids are 6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I got a Carrera in Halfords for my 4yo this year and I'm very pleased with it. Even though it's a 16" it's lighter than the 14" Ridgeback he had previously. Would definitely recommend that.

Alternatively there are shops in Ireland which sell Frog bikes, they seem to be very well thought of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Frog are out of stock in most places too, I got a 62 in Joe Daly earlier in the week, next availability from frog looking like end June or early July they said. Best bet in the near term is probablysecondhand Islabikes or frog, create an alert on adverts and you might get lucky, I've seen some frog55s on that recently

There's a 14" Islabike on the adverts section here at the moment.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058063607

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Thanks Folks appreciate the responses

No worries. Can try following this over to Adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Islabikes or Frog.
    Buy a bike from a bike shop/supplier not a toy or car supplies shop.

I've known this for years, but still convinced myself a entries bike would do the job for our first. It was too heavy and barely got used. Got 5yr old an islabike from adverts last year and haven't looked back.
    Picked up a Frog from Joe Daly last Christmas for 3yr old, who is now cycling without stabilisers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chain reaction Cycles do Vitus Balance bikes and Vitus kids bikes which are reasonably priced and very light

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

The Wiggins range in Halfords. Would highly recommend. Not often on show in the store but they'll order in for you to view with no obligation to buy
    They're as good as Frog or Islabikes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've had frogs for my 2. Great bikes. Never went the balance bike route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Plus one for the vitus. Both my daughter and nephew have them. The bikes weigh less than 2kg and they fly around in them. Ages 2.5 and 3 yrs.

My nephew is a big unit for 3, 99th percentile. You would think he would be able for a pedal bike but my sister also got him pedal bike and he still prefers the balance bike because he can go faster and he can manoeuvre it better.

Advertisement