Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet bandwidth usage

Options
  • 29-07-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Is minecraft very heavy on the internet download limit. My son really enjoys playing it but he seems to have maxed out our download limit twice and almost a third time until I just checked the traffic today. I dont want to stop him playing it as it is better than all the shooting games out there that he could be playing but I cant afford to upgrade our internet package and we cant get an unlimited package where we live. Is there a way he can play without being live online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hey BlackEdelweiss,

Whats your download limit and who is your provider? Playing games online doesn't use as much bandwidth as you might think. I read some where that playing shooter games will use about 100MB an hour.

Minecraft can be played in Single player which would use next to nothing in terms of bandwidth.

But i doubt gaming is the problem here. I'd ask him how often he watches videos on the internet i.e YouTube, netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I'd ask him how often he watches videos on the internet i.e YouTube, netflix
    This. Also, do you have a wireless router, and if so, what sort of security does it have (none, WEP, or WPA)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

the_syco wrote: »
    This. Also, do you have a wireless router, and if so, what sort of security does it have (none, WEP, or WPA)?

Oh ye if you use WEP, its very easy for someone to crack the code, and use your broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Actually minecraft can be a bit heavier on the downloading than shooters. Used to play it online when with a mobile broadband dongle so i was able to see the download rate while playing. I think the download rate is higher because it has to download the map your playing on.

Advertisement