Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with disk after SSD upgrade

Options
  • 29-07-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

MBP early 2011, now with an SSD in the drive bay and the original drive in the DVD drive bay.

So I managed to clone my HDD to an SSD and it all works well, including bootcamp. No problems at all. My original HDD I put into the DVD bay in a caddy. It works as well, can access it but I would now like to format it, which I can't seem to do, presumably because of the recovery partition on it.

My new SSD has a mountain lion recovery partition on it, the old HDD has a lion recovery partition on it. I upgraded to mountain lion after the SSD upgrade.

So now when I boot into windows by holding down the option key I see 6 drives! New mac ssd, old mac hdd, old win, new ssd win, mountain lion recovery and old lion recovery!

Question is, how can I edit this boot menu to remove the invalid entries and also how can I format the old internal HDD now that it's in my DVD drive bay. Windows let me format the old win partition no problem but I get a 'can't unmount' error in mac os disk utility when I try.

From reading online it appears to be because the drive thinks the recovery partition is still important or used, when it isn't really.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have you tried booting into the recovery partition of the SSD? Then go into the disk utility there and reformat the HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭chabsey

I haven't, I'm fairly new to Macs and the whole idea of recovery partitions makes me a little uneasy. Assuming I'm safe though and not likely to screw everything up you think that might sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭chabsey

Bit the bullet, booted into the recovery partition and formatted it from there. I still have two windows partitions appearing on the boot up menu but presumably I need to format the old windows partition from the recovery partition to get rid of that one as well.

THanks for the help.

Advertisement