Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to restore vista?

Options
  • 29-07-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

i have a dell xps running vista that im selling, im just wondering is there a way to restore the computer to its factory settings and clear everything off it? i already have the files i need off it so everything else can be deleted. anybody know how to do it? i cant find the vista disks i got with it, is this a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually with Dell's, assuming nobody has messed around with the partitioning at any stage and removed it, there's a recovery partition utility that's accessible by hitting Ctrl-F11 immediately after you power the machine on.

Bear in mind that after this it'll be at whatever Service Pack level was available when the machine was bought, with no further updates and also with all the Dell bloatware installed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget to overwrite the free space and it won't be wiped during a restore.

sdelete or other apps can do this from inside windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

don't forget to overwrite the free space and it won't be wiped during a restore.

sdelete or other apps can do this from inside windows

Eraser... a fine piece of Irish software. ;)

fhy33.jpg

Advertisement