Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR figures

Options
  • 28-07-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Could someone please explain how stations know they have exactly 100,000 listeners? as I was listing to a regional youth station boasting they have bet all the competition e.g. 2fm and Today fm.

Today fm and 2 fm are hardly competition as they are not aimed at kids.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JNLR generate figures by selecting an apparently representative set of listeners and multiplying the reported figures from the survey. Its an extremely inexact science.

Each stations claims are made by picking the figures that look best for them - the regionals will be using the 15-34 figures; in Dublin you often get one station using reach and another using listenership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Are the figures a bit (maybe a bit more than a bit) misleading. I live in Co Waterford. If i was asked what Stations I listen to is i told them Radio 1, 2fm, Newstalk, Today fm, WLR etc it is taken into account as they are local/National stations, but if i was to cay was listening to Tipp fm, Community Radio Youghal, RedFM etc it does not count as these are stations outside the county. Would they not be better off trying to get a more exact picture of what people listen to regardless of where the station is based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Black Suir wrote: »
    Are the figures a bit (maybe a bit more than a bit) misleading. I live in Co Waterford. If i was asked what Stations I listen to is i told them Radio 1, 2fm, Newstalk, Today fm, WLR etc it is taken into account as they are local/National stations, but if i was to cay was listening to Tipp fm, Community Radio Youghal, RedFM etc it does not count as these are stations outside the county. Would they not be better off trying to get a more exact picture of what people listen to regardless of where the station is based.

Your listening to stations outside your area would be taken into account, but may not statistically register.

Advertisement