Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Table -what finish?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am in the market for a new oak kitchen table.
    Looking at a few and am confused about the different finishes - what's the hardest wearing? Wax? Laquer?
    I don't mind having to use placemats for hotter items (dinner plates,etc)if I have to, but would like to think I could put a cup of tea down on the kitchen table without causing a stain or a small splash wouldn't cause a big water mark.
    Each shop guy swears by his :confused:
    Any help or advise greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Jay
    If you want toughness then an of the phenolic resin varnishes will be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Jay
    If you want toughness then an of the phenolic resin varnishes will be your best bet.

Agreed, but the finish will look like plastic.
    Good old polyurethane is a good compromise. It will mellow over time. If this was a comissioned piece I'd get the maker to spray it with pre-cat lacquer. Otherwise I hear good reports about the oil/wax finishes like osmopolyx but havn't tried them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blue Jay

Thank you both for the advice - I will know more about what to ask re the finishes before purchasing. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Jay

Agree with Recipio on the pre-cat lacquer.

Advertisement