Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting a replica gun into an airsoft gun ??

Options
  • 28-07-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I was wondering is it possible to convert a replica gun into an airsoft gun because there are many replica guns that are cheaper than the airsoft version and there are some that aren't available versions. Also,some airsoft versions are exremely expensive compared to the replicas e.g. replica Lee Enfield costs approx 180 euro while the airsoft version costs approx 1,500 euro. I would welcome any comments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Some of the RS owners/shooters here can correct me on this, but as far as I recall, turning a de-act into an airsoft gun qualifies as reactivation of a firearm and is a serious deal. It certainly is in the UK since I recall the topic being discussed at length on arnies a while back and I would imagine similar law exists in Ireland on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

When you say replica do you mean a gun that has just been made for display or one which was once a firearm but has been made unusable i.e. a deact?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 the mer

Blay wrote: »
    When you say replica do you mean a gun that has just been made for display or one which was once a firearm but has been made unusable i.e. a deact?
    in replica i mean it was never a firearm just made for reinactment or display

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

the mer wrote: »
    in replica i mean it was never a firearm just made for reinactment or display

like a denix?? it wold be a waste of time, for the money you would buy a full set of SMLE wooden furniture, and some metalwork (butt plate, sling swivels ect) and then just modify the SMLE gear to fit around an airsoft springer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

If you want a particular replica, build it. You buy a base gun, and work around it. You may need to machine parts, and it will require a LOT of time, effort and of course, money.

It will not work out cheaper, but it will be accurate (as far as your dedication allows).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

I have tried the whole turning a de-act into a airsoft aeg approach myself and trust me it's not the worth the hassale,

I put a alot of work in some of projects simply because for the love of it,
    However Inari, thermo and Lemming all raise the good points towards it.

Another thing you have to add is you have to get is persmission from the local superintendent to actually own a de-act weirdly enough and despite the airsoft conversion mods, it will still be classed as a de-act rather than a airsoft rifle even after a successful mod, This is what i was tolded from a firearm forensic in Dublin "soon to be brother in law " :eek:

I tried to build a ma duce myself using a de-act as a basis but the over all cost of that approach didn't make much sense compared to doing a scratch build which is a a lot more thought and work i know but way more cheaper.

Hope this clears up some of your queries, sorry to dampen your idea, like i mention above, I wanted to do the same but i have gone the whole scratch build approach and so far I'm happy with it.

I have tried the whole turning a de-act into a airsoft aeg approach myself and trust me it's not the worth the hassale,

I put a alot of work in some of projects simply because for the love of it,
    However Inari, thermo and Lemming all raise the good points towards it.

Another thing you have to add is you have to get is persmission from the local superintendent to actually own a de-act weirdly enough and despite the airsoft conversion mods, it will still be classed as a de-act rather than a airsoft rifle even after a successful mod, This is what i was tolded from a firearm forensic in Dublin "soon to be brother in law " :eek:

I tried to build a ma duce myself using a de-act as a basis but the over all cost of that approach didn't make much sense compared to doing a scratch build which is a a lot more thought and work i know but way more cheaper.

Hope this clears up some of your queries, sorry to dampen your idea, like i mention above, I wanted to do the same but i have gone the whole scratch build approach and so far I'm happy with it.
    ok well bad news unfortunatley but thanks for the helps guys, i think i might try my hand some time in the future at a MG42 OR MG34 , Darth pheonix remember me at limerick airsoft camp the guy with the sig 551:)

Emm, i think so, was i talking to you last week or so..?

Emm, i think so, was i talking to you last week or so..?
    ya the guy in flektarn camo ,you showed me a m16, just wondering do you have any tips on trying to make an mg42 or mg34?? thanks

Oh yeah yourself :confused: , only joking , yeah i remember ya, send me a pm next time your going and I'll do my best to point ya in the right direction :)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah yourself :confused: , only joking , yeah i remember ya, send me a pm next time your going and I'll do my best to point ya in the right direction :)
    k thanks see ya around

Advertisement