Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Mini query

Options
  • 28-07-2012 12:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would the Mac Mini be a good starting point to investigate the Mac OS X system, with a view to skill up in coding, such as Objective C? (I'm coming from a Win/Solaris background)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Manach wrote: »
    Would the Mac Mini be a good starting point to investigate the Mac OS X system, with a view to skill up in coding, such as Objective C? (I'm coming from a Win/Solaris background)
    Thanks

When I was considering a Mac I bought a Mac Mini as a starting point. Used it for a few months, sold it off for a small loss, and eventually got a Macbook Pro. I liked the OS so it was a handy low cost way of checking it out before goin out and dropping a bomb on a new laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

I quite like the Mac Mini but some models are a pain to upgrade, so buy one that has a large capacity HDD and plenty of RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

They are very nice machines, a good way to try out OS X and XCode.
    I have one as a HTPC, I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV and moving the the mini to the office so I can play with it more.
    It can still be the HTPC using Air Play.

On the current mid 2011 model the memory is very easy to upgrade, just open the bottom and there is the memory.
    The hard drive though seem to require removing logic boards and antennas and all sorts of other fiddling to even get near.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yes, its a good starting point. Although you will eventually want something with a bit more welly if you end up doing any heavy-duty work.

Advertisement